Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, March 29, 2010

GUEST BLOG: MYCHAEL BLACK

The Fun of World Building

Fantasy or paranormal, science fiction or contemporary, historical or… well, you get the idea. No matter the genre, one of the biggest, most awesome things for me is the world building. I don't just mean meeting the characters, hunting for names, etc. I'm talking about mapping (even if it's on a real world map), plotting places and events, going through a timeline--be it real or fictional.

It's why I write. It's why I sit down and type up countless stories in countless lands. It's why I have a terrifying amount of unfinished files in my folders. O.o

But what IS the lure? Why do I love world building so much?

I think part of it is my love of archaeology, to be honest. Ever since I was a kid, I've wanted to do two things: write and be an archaeologist. Yes, Indiana Jones was one of my biggest heroes. So was Poe. And Emily Brontë. And… Need I go on?

At some point, life decided that my passions needed to flip-flop. Writing became my career; archaeology a hobby. My bookshelves (the poor things) can attest to my obsession with history--namely medieval, armor, weapons, warfare, cultures, languages, religions. Looking over at one bookshelf, I can think of thousands of more books I need. Each and every one is key to my world building.

My fantasy worlds are, primarily, fashioned after the Middle Ages. It's a time period I'm intensely interested in, and one I've researched for many years. I get to explore new places--completely of my own design--that have elements of a time I love. Magic, myth, law, dress style, weaponry, warfare, construction--it all coalesces into a world (or worlds) that I become immersed in when I write. Socendor, the world in which The Lost Son takes place, is a prime example of such a place. I've taken bits and pieces of historical and fantastical things I've read over the years and crafted a world of my own--one I know I could spend the rest of my life in and never get bored.

What do World of Warcraft, Spongebob, cooking, writing, and an unnatural addiction to Mountain Dew all have in common?

Not a damn thing, which is what makes Mychael Black an interesting bird indeed.

Born in north Alabama, Mychael now resides in north Mississippi. Having run the gamut of labels in regard to gender and sexuality, Mychael now shuns society's views on normality and embraces a poly-everything attitude. Call Mychael her or him--it doesn't matter. Just keep reading the books.

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I absolutely love Mychael Black's works and can't enough of them.

Thank you for the great post.

Tracey D

Mychael Black said...

Thanks, Tracey! :D