Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, May 31, 2010

GUEST BLOG: TORY RICHARDS

Short Romance VS Long Romance


Until recently I've written books in the 40,000 to 65,000 word range. Lots of conflict weaved throughout the plot, suspense and of course, sex. You can't have a romance without sex, can you? I guess you can, but that's another topic. Writing a longer book takes longer time, obviously. But not always for the obvious reasons. There's times when you just don't know what your characters want. You write in a scene, then delete it because it doesn't flow or really make sense. But you know you've got to come up with something because you're not ready to write the end yet.

The last two books I've submitted, and been offered contracts for are short romances. Quickies, if you will, because they're coming out with Ellora's Cave. I'm so thrilled over that because of the publisher's reputation, and longevity. By short romance I mean 15,000 words and less. I mean, who can't do that? I didn't think I could but found that I obviously can, and what's more, I like it.

Writing a short romance can be whipped out in no time. You keep the plot simple, don't write in a lot of secondary characters, and get the hero and heroine into bed as soon as you can, as often as possible. Readers want short stories they can read in an hour or two for that quick romance fix. And I've discovered that I enjoy writing shorter romances.

My first Ellora's Cave Quickie is Talk Dirty to Me, and it came out on May 24th. If you like short, hot reads then you'll love Blake and Lilly's story. Blurb below. I hope you check it out.


Lilly has been in love with her brother’s best friend Blake for years. She lost her virginity to the oil driller on her eighteenth birthday, only to wake the next morning to find him gone. After he pulled that stunt twice more, she swore never to see or talk to him again. But now he’s back for her brother’s wedding, and he’s as sexy as she remembers.

Blake thinks Lilly’s even sexier than ever. Unable to resist one another, they don’t make it out of the airport parking lot before taking up where they left off. As the two rediscover their passion for each other, nothing and nowhere is off limits!


www.toryrichards.com
http://www.jasminejade.com/ps-8369-50-talk-dirty-to-me.aspx

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I find short stories a great way to learn about "new" writers. I've found some of my favorite authors by reading their short stories, first.

Thanks,
Tracey D

Tracie said...

I loved the excerpts for Talk Dirty To Me!

As busy as I am, many times a "quickie" is just the escape necessary to unwind.