Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

GUEST BLOG: TRACY L. RANSON

Do you want to quit writing?


How times have people asked you that? More times than I can count I can tell you. Throughout my life, I’ve had people ask me that, especially one of my engineering school instructors. He told me more than few times I wasn’t any good at engineering and I should quit and look for something else, like hairdressing. Please! I’m no hairdresser! Anyone who has encountered me KNOWS that isn’t my forte. To give you an image (I know I’m dating myself here), I sort of look like Roseanne Rosannadana from Saturday Night Live (a very old Gilda Radner character). All kidding aside, I told him what he could do with his advice and graduated at the top of my class. He of course only finished half a year due to personal issues…I showed him.

The same thing applies to writing. I’ve always wanted to be writer and I must admit in the beginning it was rough. I didn’t know what I was doing and there wasn’t exactly all the help and support there is online like there was twelve years ago. I had to slog through and learn stuff THE HARD WAY…which sucked I tell you. Did I give up? No. Did I want to give up? A thousand times. I kept thinking my writing sucked and no one wanted to read my schlock. But you know what? I joined several critique groups and got some great advice. Some of those ladies are well known authors such as Phyllis Campbell, Sydney Somers, Gail Delaney and Jaycee Clark. These are some wonderful women in addition to being outstanding authors. Whenever I’ve wanted to give up and stop, they wouldn’t let me. They could see the potential locked away within myself and wanted me to smash the wall of self doubt blocking it.

I managed to finally take their advice and had my first book published in 2000 and since then, it’s been an upward climb. For me, there’s no other way but up. I’ve had a multitude of books published with more to come! In March of this year, I become PAN (Published Authors Network) eligible within Romance Writers of America. That means I had to sell so many books in order to reach this status if you’re unfamiliar with this designation. All of that is due to my wonderful fans who bought THE WARLORD’S WOMAN. That single titled pushed me up to that eligibility. Would I have gotten that if I quit? No, I wouldn’t have and I’d have cheated a world out of a great story. I don’t have an agent or a NY publisher yet but that’s not going to stop me from striving for one. Sure, I’m still full of self-doubt but I manage to curb that through the online love and support of the writing community not to mention the love and support from my real life hero husband who does look like he walked off the cover of a hot romance novel. He is my constant inspiration for everything.

No matter how bad things get or someone tells you to quit. Do what I did. Tell them NEVER! I do and look where it’s gotten me. If nothing else, show who is dragging you down it can be done and done the best by you. Here is my favorite quote that I live by:

If the dream is big enough, the facts don’t matter—Dexter Yager of Yager Group International.

So if it’s your dream to become a NY Bestselling author, then do it. The hell with everyone else. It’s your dream and you’re the only one who can nurture it and make it grow. Always keep taking workshops and learning because you can’t know everything about your craft. If you’ve only gotten one thing out of this post make it this: You are the weaver of tales and the spinner of dreams. Fill the world with your words and make it a better place.



Thanks for reading!

Tracy L. Ranson



I’ve been an avid fan of history all my life. That love started in my childhood. Instead of reading us fairy tales, my father would read to us from history books that he had, on all different subjects and levels. Intrigued by the past, I hungered to read more…

As I child, I would re-write the endings of all my books if I didn’t like the way they ended. My mother thought it was cute but she had no idea then what would happen today. It was only natural that later I would go onto writing.

I earned an engineering degree before I started writing, focusing all of my time and energy on it. After a while an opportunity to change careers came into play and I took it. My passion for writing came to the forefront.

With the love and support of my husband I am able to live the dream of being a writer. He is my inspiration for romance and what true love really is.

We live in a quite little neighborhood about two minutes from where I grew up. Our house is filled with 3 tails and sets of paws. Thomas, Pavel and Victor our beloved felines. Weird names you ask? My husband is a hockey fanatic and decided to name all the pets with the names of current hockey players.

My dream in life has always been to mold ideas and bring stories to life that are near and dear to everyone’s heart. I am very fortunate to be living my dream now. Continuing to hone my craft with each new book, I hope I am able to touch upon my readers and inspire them.

http://www.tracylranson.com/


1 comment:

Kristabel Reed said...

Inspiring words, Tracy! I'm no engenieer, but neither am I a hairdresser (can't even imagine being one!) but I didn't give up, either. Not having the knowledge I do now right at my fingertips--it must have been rough, but hey, look where you're at now!