Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, August 30, 2010

GUEST BLOG: SUZANNE ROCK

Quirky People


Hi everyone – thanks so much for having me on the blog. Today I thought I would talk a little about quirks. We all have them. The author who must clear out their email inbox before they start writing. Or the friend who has to eat all of their vegetables on their plate before they touch anything else in a meal. Some of these quirks may be charming or sweet, but others can be down right annoying. These quirks help to define who we are, and set us apart from everyone else in the world.

I have many quirks. Forget about talking to me in the morning until I've had that first cup of coffee. (Sound familiar to anyone?) When in a public restroom, I never touch the door handle directly. Instead I pull a paper towel and use that as a barrier between my hand and the door knob (you never know what germs may be on the door handle). I like to stay up late, and love to snack in the wee hours of the night. (Anyone like to do that, too?) I'm also always looking out my window to see what the neighbors are doing (yes, I'm that neighbor, lol).

Characters in movies and novels are no different. Think of Jack Sparrow in Pirates of the Caribbean. Now there is a character with quirks. He is so much more than a pirate who lost his ship. His mannerisms, the way he talks and acts, all of it goes into defining who he is.

Or think of Anita Blake in Laurell K Hamilton's Anita Blake series. The tough-as-nails character who sleeps in her penguin pajamas. Says a lot about her character, doesn't it? It gives her an added dimension we can all identify with.

Everyone needs something special about them that people can relate to. In Dark Deception, the heroine, Maria, has a fondness for cherries. Enrique is very generous. These are qualities that help to define them (just like they define us) and set them apart from everyone else in the story. Many times, its these character quirks that pull a reader into a story and keeps them reading at two o'clock in the morning.

So I'm asking all of you – what are some of your favorite characters from movies and novels? Did these characters have any lovable quirks? Tel me about it!
While you are thinking about your answer, check out my newest release from Loose Id below. Thanks again for having me!


Down on the Boardwalk – Suzanne Rock




Gwen's psychic abilities first make her an outsider among the werewolves. Then they make her a slave. Forced to use her power to help a deranged werewolf seek vengeance, she gives up on her dream of ever being accepted and loved. That is, until Nico and Tony are thrown into her cell. Her attraction to the Kyron Pack brothers is immediate and overwhelming. As she submits to the physical attraction, old wounds heal and her powers strengthen. The brothers think she can save them, but to do so would require more than just physical intimacy, and reveal a secret too dark and horrifying to share.

When Nico and Tony use their lust to help their battered mate, buried memories rise to the surface, and jealousy threatens to destroy the fragile wolf in their care. As each of them bonds to Gwen, they begin to withdraw from each other. Now they must heal their inner scars and forgive the past if they ever hope save Gwen and escape the Boardwalk alive.


Excerpt:
Gwen breathed a sigh of relief and leaned her head against his shoulder. She didn't realize how much she needed to feel his close presence, or hear his voice. For months the only conversation she had was with Amos or Eric, neither of which were ideal. Tony's words made her feel safe, alive...

Normal.

“Talk to me.” God, she was begging him now. Is this what Eric had reduced her to? It was undignified. Then again, dignity had left the room a long time ago.

He wrapped his arms around her again and held her close. “Talk to you,” he repeated. “What about?”

She shook her head against his chest. “I don't care. Anything.”

“Like why you are chained up like an animal?” There was no mistaking the undercurrent of anger in his voice.

She blinked back her tears. “Something else.”

“We should really find a way out of here before they get back.”

“Please. Just talk to me for a little while. I get so little conversation down here…”

He hesitated, then pulled her into his lap. “You're shaking.”

Was she? She hadn't noticed. “Please,” she whispered.

He pressed her lips against the crown of her head. “Talk to you. Okay.” He rocked her back and forth like a baby as he thought of something to say. She pressed into his chest and listened to his heartbeat. The thump sounded low, steady, and confident. Things she hadn't felt since…

“I can't do this.” He grasped her upper arms and pushed her far enough away to look into her eyes.

Gwen held her breath as their gazes locked. He was searching for something, but what? She tried not to move, not to think. Everyone has either used or abandoned me. Don't be like them, please.

“I can't think with you so close to me.” He shook his head as his finger traced down the side of her face. “But even going across the room seems too far away.”

“Tony…”

He ran his fingers through her chestnut locks. “I can't imagine how it must have been for you down here all alone.” He let his hand fall and traced the rips in her shirt. “What did they do to you? It almost looks like they treat you like an animal.”

I am an animal.

He slipped his finger through one of the larger tears and traced the upper swell of her breast. Gwen held her breath as heat trickled over her skin. He shifted his legs, and she felt his hard cock press up against her hip.

“Never had I felt desire so strong. I just want to…” His voice trailed away as he lowered his hand.

“Want to what?”

He dragged his gaze up to meet hers. “I don't want to scare you. You're hurt and tired. Why don't we rest for a while and then we'll find a way out of here.”

“No.” If he felt even half of her longing, it would be painful for him. Would he let her ease his ache? Or would he want to ease hers? Lust flowed freely through her as she pictured him between her thighs, her body stretching to receive him. Pressure mounted in her lower abdomen and her muscles tightened in response. She inched closer and rested her hand on his thigh. “Tell me, what do you want to do?” Do you want to taste me? Touch me? Or just throw me down and fuck me? She eased her fingers closer to his cock. His muscles tightened, and he leaned back, offering her more room. Excitement tingled over her skin. Gwen slid her hand up and over the bulge in his pants. He hissed out a breath as she curled her fingers and gave a gentle but firm squeeze.

“I’ve never craved anyone so much in my life.” He brushed his thumb over her lips. “If we had met under different circumstances, I probably would have already claimed you for my own.”

“Different circumstances?”

“You’re hurt.”

“I'm lonely.”

“You need rest.”

“I need this.” She squeezed her hand for emphasis. His cock jerked against her palm in response.

Lust flashed over his features, before it was quickly contained. He closed his eyes briefly before speaking. “No, this is the heat talking. You're my mate and deserve more than this. I refuse to take advantage of your situation. After we get out of here --”

An image of his broken body surfaced in Gwen's mind. She pushed it back and drew down his zipper. “One thing I have learned while staying here is that the future is uncertain. All we have is here and now.” She slipped her fingers through the hole and ran them over the head of his cock. He felt warm, wet, and inviting. She gathered some moisture on her finger and then drew her hand back. “We need to live in the moment, for tomorrow we may die.”

“We won't die.”

He seemed so sure of himself. She slid her moistened finger between her lips. He tasted salty and male. She craved more, much more. Heat and need rose through her body, making her mouth dry and her heart thud inside her chest.

Tony curled his thumb around to the side of her face and slid it over her cheek.

He flicked his gaze to her mouth. “I would have stripped you down and savored every inch of your skin.” He framed her face with his hands. “I would have started at your temple.” He brushed his finger along her hairline. “And then worked my way down…” He blazed a trail of fire down to her cheek, her jaw, her neck. Everywhere he touched, her skin burned with longing. She reached up and covered his hands with hers, then closed her eyes. Passion soared through her body as she felt them outline each dip and rise of her shoulders, her chest. Together they inched lower.

“Yes.” The word was barely a whisper from her lips, but it had the desired effect. His amber eyes darkened as he inched his finger through a tear in her shirt. With skin finally touching skin, he traced the swell of her breast. “I would linger here.”

She opened her eyes. “Would you?”

He tore his gaze away from her hands and met her eyes. “Do you want me to?”

“Yes.”

“Good.” Tony slipped his fingers from her shirt and continued down the length of her breast. “And here.” He circled her nipple, teasing it into a sharp peak through her shirt.

“Anywhere else?”

“Maybe.”

“Show me.” Please. As much as Gwen wanted to touch him, to move, she didn't dare. Movement would break the beautiful spell he wove around them, and she wasn't quite ready to do that.

“And here.” He moved over to the other nipple, his intense gaze following his movements. Gwen held still as desire crashed through her body. He was going much too slow. At this rate she'd self-combust before he got his cock out of his pants. She arched her back, pressing her breast into his waiting palm. He focused on his hands as he cupped her, then rubbed his palm over her tip.

“And then I would kiss you here.” He pressed his fingers underneath her breast. “And here.” He slid his hand down to the center of her abdomen, just above her belly button.

He raised his head, and she saw her own passion mirrored in his eyes. Urgency tightened her muscles. She wanted him inside her. Now.

“Do it.”

He ignored her command. “And then here.” He slid his fingers lower, slipping between her thighs.

Her pussy clenched and tried to pull his fingers through the thin fabric separating them. This man was infuriating. She should just push him to the ground and take what she wanted, yet she couldn't. His gaze held her captive. He watched her every movement, saw every emotion that slipped across her features. She felt like he was a scientist and she was an interesting specimen. Did she give him the result he had hoped for?

“Yes.” His expression softened. “I would definitely kiss you here.”

Gwen closed her eyes. Those words… There was such need, such longing in them. Images flashed through her mind of him between her legs, brushing his tongue over her opening, flicking it over her clit. No one had ever talked to her like this before. His voice was laced with desire, of course, but there was something more. There was reservation. Despite the deep craving burning through both of them, Tony was holding back. For her.

The thought of him reigning in his libido because he didn't want to take advantage of the situation brought tears to her eyes. He barely knew her, yet he was showing her more care and consideration than anyone else ever had during her cursed existence. It was so sweet, so thoughtful.

So unnecessary.

He pressed his fingers against her slit, pushing her clothing over her damp skin. Passion climbed, the vines dividing, spreading, and curling up through her body. She opened her thighs to give him better access. A growl of hunger vibrated in the back of his throat as he ran his finger over her pants, tracing the outer rim of her opening. Clothes, too many clothes…

She leaned toward him like a flower eager for sunlight. Her vision had clearly showed how their connection would lead to his death -- but the future could change, right? For now, she would take what he offered: warmth, excitement, and a chance to belong to someone, to be with someone. She'd worry about the consequences tomorrow.

“I can smell your desire, Gwen.” He leaned closer. “All I can think about is tearing off these clothes and driving myself deep inside you.”

Finally.

Gwen's whole body shook, and her pussy clenched with need. She slid her arms around his neck and leaned her forehead against his. “What's stopping you then?”

After over a decade in the scientific world, Suzanne needed a creative outlet. She tried scrap booking, cooking, crocheting, painting, and piano, none of which held her interest for very long. Then one of her friends suggested writing. Thrilled with the idea of creating her own worlds, she opened up her lap top and never looked back.

When Suzanne’s not writing, she can be found playing with her two daughters, testing her husband’s latest kitchen creations, or curled up with her favorite romance novel in her central Massachusetts home.


Backlist:
Spyder's Web, Loose Id

Up on the Housetop (Book 1 of the Kyron Pack), Loose Id

Cria, Loose Id

Down on the Boardwalk (Book 2 of the Kyron Pack), Loose Id

Coming soon:


Dark Deception (Book 1 of the Immortal Realm), Red Sage


Links:
Website: www.SuzanneRock.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/Suzanne_Rock
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/suzanne.rock
Embrace the Shadows Blog: http://embracetheshadows.wordpress.com/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/2982868.Suzanne_Rock

Youtube Channel (so you can see my other book trailers): http://www.youtube.com/user/SuzanneRock1

5 comments:

Faith said...

Hmm...my quirk would have to be that I check email before I can begin writing. I use it as a way to get my mind going, especially when I have to get up with my youngest dau now and make sure she's up every morning at 5:30 to catch the bus. Once I check email, my brain's usually awake and I can start writing.

I also can't stand it if someone moves my papers and things around on my desk.

suzannerock said...

Hi Faith! I tend to check email before writing, too. It's hard not to get sucked into the internet, sometimes. I try to limit myself with how much time I spend online. otherwise I'd waste hours and hours, lol. Thanks for stopping by!

Michelle said...

Some of my favorite characters on TV are Bobby from Law and Order: Criminal Intent and Monk. Both are riddled with quirks!

Down on the Boardwalk sounds great! I love menages and werewolves.

Suzanne Rock said...

Hi Michelle! You know, I really like Monk, too. There is just something fascinating with that character. His quirks really make him memorable.

Thanks for the kind words about Down on the Boardwalk -- and thanks for stopping by!

Naima Simone said...

Hi, Suzanne!
A quirk of mine is when I eat McD's, I must eat the fries first before I touch the sandwich. It's the natural order of things, right? LOL! Another is that any cup of coffee I buy must have 7 creams and 9 sugars. It's the perfect formula and you don't monkey with it!

Great excerpt!! If the excerpt is anything to judge the book by, it's definitely on the TBR list!