Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, November 5, 2010

GUEST BLOG: BETWEEN THE COVERS

Welcome to Between The Covers, my monthly blog about erotic romance in the news! My name is Rebecca Gillan. Sometimes I come across stories that look like normal people doing normal people stuff. And sometimes I come across stories that sound like someone tried to re-enact their favorite scene from a romance novel and it didn’t go so well. Once a month, on the first Friday of the month, I share some of these juicy gems. So grab your popcorn and enjoy the ride!

November is upon us. While the weather may be getting colder, the news is piping hot! This month, I bring you two tales of modern people doing things that went out of fashion centuries ago, and one story of scientists conducting studies of things most people have known for centuries.

A woman was charge with adultery for after being arrested for sex in a public park with a man she wasn’t married to.This is a somewhat older story- it happened in June. I just found out it, though, about because this woman was recently caught stealing food from a buffet. That’s a whole ‘nother story I won’t get into. The pertinent one is her getting charged with adultery. Apparently, the way you get that very real charge slapped on you in the State of New York is to be married and get caught en flagro with corroborating witnesses with someone you are not married to.

First off, who has sex at five o’clock in the afternoon on a picnic table in front of children? Usually I love reading passages involving public exhibition. But, lady? There’s a time and a place and that wasn‘t it. I can’t fault her for choosing a hot young stud more than ten years her junior, though. With age comes refined tastes (usually) and hot young studs are always in style. There’s definitely something smoking-hot about sex with a hot young stud on a picnic table. Broad daylight on a weekday can definitely add some spice, too. The ick factor sits squarely with the venue and timing. Picnic table at five on a Friday in a deserted park? Very creative win. Same thing in a park populated by families with children? Massive fail. That antiquated law was obviously left on the books specifically to humiliate people like her.

And in other out-dated trends, a jewelry dealer lost $10 million in diamonds after a 30 minute stop at a strip club. He had the pricey jewels in a black pouch nestled in his pants with his family jewels. I suppose that is slightly better than burying them in a Mason jar in the back yard. One would think someone smart enough to legally obtain $10 million is precious stones would also be smart enough to use more modern means to secure them. I’m not even sure why one would go to a strip club with a bag of diamonds. I’m sure the strippers would not appreciate him slipping stones in their G-strings.

There are two things with this story that made me think: the suspects confessed over a year ago- and wrote apology letters!- but were not arraigned until a few days ago. And the jeweler paid $3,200 as a thank-you to the club owner before checking to make sure everything was there! Wait, no. He was keeping the gems in a Victorian era man-purse, guarded only by his trouser snake. I actually can picture him paying a reward for the theft of his stuff. But the first point still stands. How does writing apology letters keep one out of jail for a year after stealing $10 million worth of jewels? It never kept me from being grounded as a child!

I’ll round out this edition of Between The Covers with a thoroughly modern story. Scientist have discovered that sex is best in adaptable populations and that sex is better than cloning! Duh? I know scientists don’t usually have a reputation for having overly active sex lives. Surely they had realized sex was fun and best with exciting partners, though. I learned this in high school watching the popular girls get all the hot guys. Although, sometimes those cheerleaders did look like a bunch of clones…

I’m going to propose a different scenario for this one. Nerdy but sexy scientist tries to hide the fact he’s a virgin by staring at petri dishes of micro organisms, claiming he’s trying to study sexual reproduction. His hot boss doesn’t buy it, but goes along with it. Then one night in the lab…

See? Much better outcome. And with that lovely scene dancing in your brains, I will sign off for this month. Remember folks, there’s nothing wrong with letting your inner id take you to adventurous places. But keep it between the covers or you might end up in the police blotters- or on this blog!

Rebecca

RebeccaLGillan.com

P.S. Feel free to add your own takes on any of these stories in the comments section. I bet I’m not the only one who can come up with fun scenarios and I’d love to hear yours!

1 comment:

Rebecca Murray said...

Shy reader dropped me an e-mail rather than commenting.

"maya1982 said: Apparently that woman thinks it is ok to have sex in front of kids so long as the kid can't see the business end."

A very good point, indeed!

BTW, feel free to comment. E-mail it to me and I'll cross post it if you don't want to post directly.

RebeccaLGillan@yahoo.com