Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, January 3, 2011

GUEST BLOG: JENIKA SNOW

What is the attraction with the supernatural? Why do we love vampires and werewolves? 

So I was sitting in my car today listening to a really good Muse song that for the life of me the name has slipped my mind. I'm wondering if I should switch genres. I enjoy writing about vampires, shape shifters and werewolves, but has the genre been over done? 

It is about writing what you like, what makes your mind work and your muse sing. Is it the forbidden fruit aspect of it all? To let yourself fall for a being that is ethereal, supernatural and powerful? The paranormal is what is in right now, what with those blood suckers and shape shifters that fall for the girl and make every person watching or reading yearn to be the one.


I asked my husband what he thought about me writing paranormal. He told me I need to write something so out of the box it blows people away, but the thing is love writing those things, love to create a world where the hero and heroine can be anyone, anything. I think the whole idea of a lover sinking their fangs into you, or a werewolf biting your shoulder to claim you, or even a tribe of seven foot tall warriors that are so possessive, so masculine it leaves you breathless...those are the things I enjoy reading as a reader, and so I think I focus all of my writing to fit what I like to read.

What if you add more than one supernatural lover to the mix? What if the heroine falls in love with two werewolves, bother of them aching to claim her in the most primitive of way? Maybe these types of stories are already played out and it is just the reader having to read the same thing just by a different author. 

Maybe…maybe…maybe.  

Is this wrong? Is this normal? I don't know, but how do you break a habit, a desire that seems right--that has all of your attention? I know I would never stop writing or reading about the paranormal, and I have a feeling a lot of readers wouldn’t either.

This is what I thought about at five am, while it snowed all around me and I listened to the soft spoken tunes of Muse. So I guess my question is...do you, the reader enjoy when a writer focuses on one thing, or would you like to see them branch off? I hear everyone saying vampires and werewolves will fade away, that the hype will die down, and that may be true, but there is something inside of me that has a feeling that they won't, that there will always be a desire for the unnatural, or the dark and devilish...that's just me, though, but even if they do die off, I know I would still write about them.

What do you think?

Jenika is just your average woman.  She lives in the too hot northeast with her husband and their young daughter. Thankfully, he shares her unusual sense of humor and naughty nature so finding material for her stories isn't a problem. 

Along with taking care of their daughter, they have to keep an eye on Milo and Otis, their spunky cats. When not writing, Jenika works full-time and attends school. Writing is Jenika's number one passion, but since life gets in the way, she isn't able to write full-time (at least not yet.) 

Jenika writes erotic paranormal, contemporary, BDSM and sci-fi romances.  Her publishing houses are Siren-Bookstrand, Total-E-Bound and Passion in Print publishing.

Jenika started writing at a very young age. Her first story consisted of  a young girl who traveled to an exotic island and found a magical doll. That story as long since disappeared, but her passion for writing has stayed strong. 

Jenika loves to hear from readers, and encourages them to contact her and give their feedback.

2 comments:

booklover0226 said...

I've read some of Jenika's works and loved them. I look forward in reading more.

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Jenika Snow said...

Thanks Tracey!