Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

GUEST POST: TINA DONAHUE

One of the very best Valentine's Days I had with my husband was when we were first married.

Wow, we were poor. Always struggling with bills and always hoping that things would get better. During this time, my husband who tended to be very frugal, announced that he was going to start eating lunch out with his fellow colleagues at work. I explained that spending $5-$10 a day on food wasn't wise. We didn't have the budget. Uncharacteristically, he insisted.

I'll admit it, I was miffed, but I figured after a month or so of doing this, he'd come to his senses. Since he was using cash, not a credit card, at least we didn't have finance charges to pay.

A few months passed and Valentine's Day was coming up. We both knew it wouldn't be that grand, so we decided to meet after our respective jobs at the mall for a cheap meal. There we were, seated at one of those plastic tables, with kids running around screaming and parents looking hasseled. Deciding to make the best of it, I gave my hubby a Valentine's Day card and a gift card to a local steak house he absolutely loved.

Expecting just a card and a $20 gift from him (the amount we'd agreed upon), I was surprised when he pulled a small velvet box out of his jacket pocket. My first thought was - wow. My second was - we can't afford this.

I looked at him and he smiled, telling me not to worry, it was paid for. All those 'lunches' he had were made up. He took the cash and hoarded it for several months so he could buy me a 'real' gift.

It was a sapphire ring surrounded by diamonds that I had wanted like forever. I couldn't help but cry. Not at the beauty of it, but the wonder of someone loving me so much that he'd go to such lengths - not eating lunch for months - to buy me something he knew I wanted.

I'll always hold that moment in my heart.

And it's moments like that that I use in my romances.







In Sensual Stranger there's a wonderful surprise from my hero Zach for his lady Toni. And in Adored, Adam gives Dani surprise after surprise. All from the heart.  :)

Tina

Tina Donahue
“Heat with Heart”

THE YEARNING (BESTSELLER)
SENSUAL STRANGER (BOOK OF THE YEAR 2010)
IN HIS ARMS (SIX - 5 Star Reviews)
ADORED (award winning - 4 Stars RT)
DEEP, DARK, DELICIOUS (5 Stars NOR - 4 Stars RT)

Website: http://www.tinadonahue.com/
Twitter: http://twitter.com/tinadonahue

23 comments:

Eyre said...

Such a sweet story! You've made me cry. :)

Stormy said...

Oh my gosh, your Valentine's story!!! That was so sweet!! Thank you for sharing!! My husband is pretty amazing but I don't know if he would think to do something like that. Actually, I know he can't be that sneaky. He doesn't even think to use cash (rather than our debit card) to buy my Christmas gifts. It's not hard to guess what he might have bought when the charge comes across from B&BW or a local bookstore. Oh well, LOL, he's wonderful in other ways!!

Kay Dee Royal said...

Tina, Your story touched my heart - brought a tear to my eye, seriously. Thanks for sharing - it's a true love story.

Nina Pierce said...

Awww ... that totally had me tearing up. You have the best hubby!

Christine H said...

Thanks, That was beautiful!!! What a man and a smart one at that!! chirth7@yahoo.com

Rawiya said...

That was awesome Tina...

:D

Marie Rose Dufour said...

What a wonderful husband you have! A memory that will be treasured always!

susan said...

I loved the story and what a great husband..I must have his twin. In 1999 we decided to take a cruise and we saved some money back for MAD MONEY. As the time got closer I commented maybe we should had put more back. My husband told me to look in his sock drawer and there I found rolls of change quarters, nickels and dimes and even pennies. He saved all his change and we had over 300.oo more for MAD MONEY. Husbands can be sneaky in good ways. Yours gave up lunches so he is still at the top of the list but mine comes in at a close 2nd place. Happy Valentine's Day. susan Leech garysue@dejazzd.com

Kelli Scott said...

that's sweet, except I would have been mad for the weeks I thought he'd been out to lunch while I ate a sandwich. Sometimes I think men are more romantic though.

Amy S. said...

How sweet! You definitely picked a winner with your husband.

Tina Donahue said...

Eyre- I still cry when I think of it.

Stormy - believe me, I was stunned when my hubby did that...didn't know he had it in him. :)

Kay Dee - you're welcome, hon. Valentine's Day will always be special to me because of that one memory.

Nina - you're so right - what a sweet guy.

Christine - very smart LOL

Rawiya - thanks, hon, I think so too.

Marie - you're so right.

Susan - that's so sweet what your hubby did

Kelli - well, yeah, I was, but thankfully I didn't say anything. :)

Tina Donahue said...

I did, Amy - sometimes we just luck out. :)

Terra Pennington said...

Hey Tina,

Just wanted to say I love your books. Looking forward to reading your new one.

Tina Donahue said...

Hey, Terra! Thanks - that's so sweet of you to say. :)

Redameter said...

Wow Tina, you better hang on to that hubby, sounds like you got a winner. Congrats.
Sometimes one of our greatest accomplishments in life is simply marrying the right man.

Love and blessings
Rita

Cheryl Pierson said...

Tina, that is just such a sweet story. Reminds me of that O.Henry story, The Gift of the Magi. That is true love, girl. He's a keeper for sure.
Hugs,
Cheryl

Tina Donahue said...

Rita - how right you are. :)

Cheryl - that's so true - I loved that story!

Renee Vincent said...

OMG what a touching story!!! Your husband is soo sweet!!! Oh I would've cried too! Happy Valentines Day, Tina! Thanks for making mine...LOVED this post!

Tina Donahue said...

Thanks, Renee - Happy Valentine's Day to you too. Hope you and your hubby have a wonderful time. :)

LORETTA CANTON said...

Tina,

I wish I could find a husband like your.

loretta
lbcanton@verizon.net

Jean P said...

What a great story, you sure got a good one with that guy. That is such a sweet story.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Tina Donahue said...

Hey, Loretta - just goes to prove that there are nice guys out there.

Jean - thanks - every time I recall it, I tear up.

Paradox Sinner said...

That was just to sweet. My eyes got a litte watery.