Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

How do mermaids and mermen actually have sex?

While writing Tears on a Tranquil Lake and two follow-ups, I’ve been asked this question often…in hushed whispers from the curious. It’s time I come clean OR get dirty on this topic!

Many think mermaids and mermen would reproduce like common flounders. Not in my world! With a degree in Biology, I readily assumed my merpeople to be like marine mammals: dolphins, whales, and manatees. In fact, mermaids were first dreamed up by delirious pirates viewing manatees in lustful ways.

I designed my mermaid, Ciel, with a slit in front, just below her pubic bone. That opening is as sensitive as any human woman’s, operating in the same way, except her legs are fused into a flipper covered with iridescent cobalt blue scales. 

The merman who is Ciel’s soul mate, Meris, is endowed with a scale-covered pouch in his pelvic area, containing his male package which can be removed or enlarges out of the pouch with desire. And, fertilization is internal…no egg laying in my fantasy romance. ICK!


I tend not to dwell on clinical, sexual anatomy of merpeople, since Tears on a Tranquil Lake is an erotic romance, and not erotica. The focus is on the story, and the intimacy provides a deeper emotional bond between the characters. But so many have asked…

Blurb:
What a surprise for a young woman, to find herself suddenly transformed into a mermaid.

Ciel’s first thought – track down the merman who changed her and make him reverse his magic.
Unable to find him, survival in her new world becomes paramount. She eagerly accepts help from a dashing pirate captain who takes a fancy to her, lavishing her with finery. When her merman does show up, he competes for her affection. One look into his eyes makes her life more complex -- he is her soul mate.

Which man will she choose – pirate captain or merman? Which life – human or mermaid? Caribbean adventures and dangers chase Ciel as she searches for decisions and the key to her happiness.

Warning: This book contains Haitian vodou, sultry wenches, foul-mouthed scalliwag pirates, overindulgence of fine Caribbean rum, and amorous encounters on deserted beaches.


Links to Marsha A. Moore and her books:
ISBN: 978-1-926931-29-6

12 comments:

annalisa said...

Interesting post! Tears on a Tranquil Lake sounds like an exciting book.

TOPSAIL246(at)aol(dot)com

Marsha A. Moore said...

I do get a lot of questions on this topic, so...thought I'd be brave and give an answer.

Thanks for stopping by, Annalisa.

Joyce said...

This sounds like an interesting read. Very different. What young girl has not dreamed of being a mermaid.

Virginia said...

I do wonder about this.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

Cindy L said...

Hmm...I never thought about their anatomy being different. Thanks for the explanation!!

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

Marsha A. Moore said...

Thanks for stopping by, Joyce, Virginia, and Cindy!

doxymom said...

I've wondered about that question and you came up with a very realistic answer.


doxisrcoolat aol.com

desitheblonde said...

i like the sound of the book and
and the way the book is posted ty for it

Jean P said...

Must admit it crossed my mind when I was reading about this book.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Justine Darkholme said...

Now that you've described their anatomy I'm going to have to move the novel up on my TBR pile. A pouch, huh? Creative.

Marisa Kinnard said...

I will definitely be reading your book! I love mermaids and this will be a new way for me to see your view on them! :)

Marisa Kinnard said...

I love mermaids! And being an adult, I want to see another view of them so I will definitely be reading your book! :)