Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Perfumes of Love





“Apples,” he whispered.
“Perfume,” she gasped. “Glad you like it.”
“I love it.” His hands covered her breasts over the molded leather. “I want this off.”
“Uh huh.” She whimpered, trying to get to the tie. Yes, that’s what she should do. Why wouldn’t her fingers work?
The Kraken’s Mirror, available now from Decadent Publishing

Ah, Valentine’s Day is on the horizon…and my thoughts turned to perfume. No, I’m not really a perfume person, but I do like a few select ones. And most are simple perfumes. I like the scent of fruit and the scent of citrus…sometimes spice.
Now perfume is a particular science and involves all sorts of nuances. I’m not going to go into that. I can tell you that perfumes have three layers. The Top Note, the Heart or Middle Note and the Base Notes. Sounds like singing in harmony, doesn’t it?
I don’t think that is accidental.
Your choice of perfumes says a lot about you as a person. Now, Emily, in the small excerpt above, lands in the 1690s, in the Caribbean and she has with her a small vial of her favorite perfume. Which happens to be mine!
DKNY put out Be Delicious some years ago and its fresh apple scent seduced me. The Top Notes of Be Delicious are violet leaf, apple, grapefruit and magnolia and they invoke the uncomplicated and spontaneous. The Middle Notes are tuberose, lily of the valley, rose and violet and denote drama and intensity. The Base Notes are sandalwood, amber and musk and involve the intense and profound. Now, Be Delicious lingers at the top notes, and Emily is uncomplicated and very spontaneous.

But Silvestri, the man pursuing her sees the drama and intensity deep inside her. He understands the strength of her feelings and the things that hold her back. And he is astounded over and over again with the profound statements she makes when speaking of his curse.

Be Delicious plays into the storyline. Apples draw him to her and at one point are a sign from the great Albino Kraken of where to pay heed. And when her perfume runs low, he takes on the task of finding a substitute.

I think it’s very romantic!

14 comments:

Chicks of Characterization said...

Enjoyed the excerpt and I love the cover to Kraken's Mirror! Sounds like a Fabulous read! I am NOT big into perfume either, on special occasions my favorite is Tresor by Lancome, but just for everyday I just spritz myself with a Vanilla Body spray! :O)

Thanks so much for sharing!

Andrea
atsnider@verizon.net

Virginia said...

Great excerpt, I think its very romantic.

lead[at]hotsheet[dot]com

LuAnn said...

I've pretty much switched to body sprays rather than heavy perfumes. I like the lighter scent much better.

reading_frenzy at yahoo dot com

Maureen said...

Andrea - I love smelling like a bakery. I could get into a vanilla body spray. I'm also a big fan of cinnamon and coffee as scents I enjoy.

But my favorites do seem to be citrus and fruits. My Be Delicious is like biting into a fresh, tart, green apple!

Thanks for stopping by, have a great Valentine's Day.

Jean P said...

Great post, The Kraken's Mirror sounds like a great story. I tend to lean to the floral scents, nothing heavy.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Maureen said...

Virginia - Thank you! I think it's romantic...and hot!

LuAnn - I'm with you for the most part. I find most perfumes have a slight alchohol tint and leave a taste in my mouth I don't enjoy! Body sprays and essential oils really are easier on the palate.

Maureen said...

Jean P - We are certainly not our mother's daughters are we? Heavy scents don't seem to take the cake nowadays.

A nice light floral, reminescent of orange blossoms I could so handle!

Thanks for stopping by!

Faith said...

I like citrusy perfumes and sometimes spicy ones too, but subtle is better. My grandmother's favorite was Evening in Paris, but I don't think it's made anymore.

bicknellbrown@sbcglobal.net

Maureen said...

Faith, you'd be surprised at the older fragrances still available since the internet arrived!

I get a kick out of the new Old Spice commercials, as I remember my father wearing it!

Thanks for stopping by!

Cathy M said...

I love the simple fruit fragrances myself, especially lemon.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Maureen said...

Cathy - I don't think there is a more uplifting fragrance than pink grapefruit. But I'm terribly fond of both lemon and satsuma oranges, too.

Thanks for stopping by!

Maureen said...

What a great party!

Cindy L said...

I like the fruity scents as opposed to the floral. I love Bath & Body Works Body Spray! It last forever and they always have great scents!

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

Maureen said...

Cindy L - I tend to buy scents at The Body Shop, but anywhere that has essential oils is good for me.

Thanks for stopping by!