Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Why Cowboys Make Great Alpha Males...

Available Here

It took tough men to survive in 1883 Texas. A Bounty Hunter was a person who captured criminals and turned them in to the authorities for a reward.This profession dates back to ancient Israel Law when the hunter was called "the avenger of blood".  The original purpose of retribution for the family of a murder victim, evolved into a profession for men who lived in a lawless land. 
In my bounty hunter series, the three McCallister men ride together catching thieves and murderers wanted by the law. Wolf's Tender is the story of Charlie Wolf McCallister and the unexpected bounty he receives on one of their jobs.  
     “Introduce us to your woman, cousin. It appears she has a mind of her own.” The big red haired bounty hunter had come up behind Naomi unheard.
            She flinched, uneasy around these McCallisters who moved so stealthily. He spoke across her shoulder to Charlie Wolf. Then he shifted something inside his mouth and carefully spat, landing the brown stain on a tuft of parched grass. Naomi stared at him horrified. Pa Lancaster had dribbled tobacco on his chin now and again. Naomi looked for signs of the same from this crude man. “I am not Mr. Wolf’s woman.”
            “Deacon and Sam McCallister,” Charlie said, nodding from them to her. Then he boosted her into the saddle, adjusting her stirrups when she was seated.
             She took that opportunity to lean toward him and whisper, “Please tell me you do not engage in that filthy habit.” He turned sharply in time to see Sam hit the same spot Deacon had stained a moment before.
             Gathering his reins he eschewed the use of stirrups, swinging lithely onto his mount, “No ma’am,” and Naomi thought his eyes were dancing with suppressed mirth, “but I have other proclivities.”
             Then he squeezed his thighs, and his horse, incongruously named Old Mossy, broke into a dancing side-step, arching his neck and snorting in response to his rider. Her first impression remained—Charlie Wolf McCallister was a beast riding a beast.
            He nudged her mare into motion coming in beside her on the right.  As they started down the trail, his cousins brought up the left and he finished the introduction, speaking across her.
             “Cousins, this is Naomi Parker,” he nudged his horse a little closer to where she rode his buckskin mare, “former teacher at the Sparrow Creek Academy for Young Ladies, and,” he finished the introductions, “my woman.”

Visit me @ Gem's Place for more tough men wearing cowboy boots.

12 comments:

Amy S. said...

I have this on my tbr. Might have to move it to the top.

Jean P said...

Really enjoyed the blurb, must look for this book, I like stories set in this time period.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Terra Pennington said...

I love cowboys and the whole Alpha male thing when I read. Your bounty hunter series sounds right up my alley.

Terra

Gem Sivad said...

Amy, I hope Charlie Wolf makes it to the top of your pile and you enjoy!

Thanks for stopping by,

gem

Gem Sivad said...

Jean, the time period fascinates me too.

I hope you'll check out my Eclipse, Texas series of historical westerns.

Thanks for stopping by,

gem

Gem Sivad said...

Terra, I love writing the rough, tough cowboy heroes who rescue and are frequently rescued back by the women they fall for.

Charlie Wolf never had a chance against the spinster school teacher, Naomi Parker. :)

Thanks for stopping by,

gem

Faith said...

Women with their own minds always make such great heroines!

bicknellbrown@sbcglobal.net

Gem Sivad said...

Faith, you're singing one of my songs. I like my heroines to take part in their own escape from danger, not wait around for the hero to rescue them.

Glad you like strong women. I hope you'll check out my Eclipse, Texas historical western series and meet mine.

Thanks for stopping by,

gem

Cathy M said...

Great intro to the characters, it has me wanting to read more about these two.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Gem Sivad said...

Cathy, Charlie and Naomi's story had me laughing the whole time I wrote it.

I hope you'll check out Wolf's Tender and let me know what you think about the book.

Happy Valentine's Day,

gem

Cindy L said...

Just from that little blurb, I think I already like Charlie Wolf! Added this one to my list Gem!

cbandy10(at)hotmail(dot)com

Gem Sivad said...

Cindy, I hope you enjoy Wolf's Tender so much, you'll read Five Card Stud, his cousin Sam McCallister's story, too.

Happy Valentine's Day!

gem