Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, April 25, 2011

SPRING IS BUSTIN' OUT ALL OVER: L.K. BELOW

The Best Things About Spring

By L. K. Below

Spring is my favorite season. The dastardly snows of winter melt away. Birds start to peek their heads out and sing. And best of all, it’s warm. So refreshing after months of bitter cold.

But my favorite thing about spring is lilacs.

Lilacs are my absolute favorite flower. Why? Partially because they herald the first blushes of spring. Growing up in rural Ontario, I looked forward to spring’s arrival. We had a lilac bush in front of our house (old, decrepit, and in dire need of trimming now). The lilacs would bloom only for a few weeks, but during that time I would constantly be picking the best blooms. When we had too many inside the house, I would cart them to school to give to my teachers. Lilacs are not only my favorite flowers, they also produce my favorite scent. I love that airy aroma that drifts from their small petals.

Whenever I think of spring, I think of the snow melting away from my old yard and the lilacs blooming under the warm sun.

Today, I’ve got a contest. While my newest release, Cinnamon and Spice has little to do with spring, it does feature the budding romance between Jack and Melissa.


Blurb: Jack is smart. Jack is charming. Jack is persistent.

But Melissa is dead certain that he isn't the guy for her. In a moment of weakness caused by his shiver-inducing voice, Melissa finally agrees to one date. She shows up on his doorstep determined to get it over and done with, but Jack has something different planned. With a home-cooked meal, wine, and cinnamon-scented candles, can he break down Melissa's resolve?

Can he steal her heart?

CONTEST ALERT: Do you want to win a goodie basket of cinnamon-scented products along with an e-copy of Cinnamon and Spice? Simple! Just email me at lbelow(at)lbelow(dot)net answering the following question:

What is your favorite thing about spring?

Essay answers aren’t required -- a simple one-word sentence will suffice. Contest closes on May 2nd, 2011. Open to entrants world-wide, but all entrants must be 18 or older.

Do you want more chances to win? Each scavenger hunt question answered counts for one ballot towards the prize. Check http://lbelow.blogspot.com/ for the full itinerary. Good luck!

Bio - L. K. Below lives in Iqaluit, Canada with her supportive boyfriend and fat cat. She writes romance and speculative fiction. Under her full name, Lindsay Below, she publishes young adult fiction. Visit her blog at lbelow.blogspot.com.

22 comments:

L. K. Below said...

Thanks so much for having me, WC! A note to entrants of the contest: While I do love comments, I need an email from you in order to log and track your entry. Email the answer to the question to lbelow(at)lbelow.net

C.E. Hart said...

I too love the smells of spring, but I especially love the feeling of renewal. All things have new life - a fresh new start.

Jean P said...

Love being able to see the bulbs finally pushing their way out and the leaves starting on the trees.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

Ruth C. said...

Lilacs and carnations are my favorite flowers. My mother had 3 lilac bushes in her yard - one each - white, dark lavender and light lavender. When I would go to visit, I would go home with an armful of them and loved seeing and smelling them throughout our house,

Maria said...

Fun post! Thanks for the contests!

junegirl63(at)gmail(dot)com

Rebekah E. said...

Lilacs are beautiful, but then again I love just about all of the flowers. They are definitely the best thing about spring.

bc428(at)juno(dot)com

Sarita said...

I love spring, too. Hoping it gets here sometime...

Suzy said...

Love planting my flowers and garden
and watching things bloom...

chey said...

I'm looking forward to things starting to grow.
chey127 at hotmail dot com

Terra Pennington said...

Cinnamon and Spice looks like a good read for this nice spring weather. Don't you just love to sit outside with a good book and enjoy the fresh air?

Terra

Cathy M said...

The early blooms of all the bulbs planted in the fall is definitely one of the things I enjoy about spring.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Judy said...

Great post. I also love lilacs!! They are so pretty!!!

Thanks for contest.

Judy
magnolias_1[at]msn[dot]com

Robin said...

I love the sense of hope, the warmth and the increasing amount of sun!

marybelle said...

The plants peeping out from under the ground after a cold winter. Just amazing.

marypres@gmail.com

L. K. Below said...

Green is wonderful, isn't it? I'm wishing for some green right now in this cold, cold Arctic. Renewal? Warmth? Sounds like a lovely dream.

Sarita - here's to hoping you and I get some spring soon!

Thanks for coming out, everyone :)

booklover0226 said...

When I was in middle school, I had a lilac solid perfume (it was in a tube, like chapstick). In the living room, I would put it on every morning and leave for school. Every morning, my grandmother couldn't understand why she kept smelling lilacs!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

L. K. Below said...

Haha sounds like fun, Tracey. Thanks for stopping by.

Sarah Ahiers (Falen) said...

oh i LOVE lilacs! But our springs are so late in MN that they actuall bloom closer to summer for us. Still, they smell so so so good

Mike Keyton said...

With cinnamon scented candles, my money's on Jack

keytons at btinternet dot com

Stacie said...

Hello LK!
I think Cinnamon & Spice sounds lovely. I can't wait to read it!

user1123 AT comcast DOT net

L. K. Below said...

Sarah, don't feel bad. I'm up in the Arctic where we've still got snow!

Mike and Stacie, thanks for entering the contest.

Best wishes everyone!

L. K. Below said...

The winner of my CINNAMON AND SPICE Scavenger Hunt is Ronnie Halvorson. Congratulations, Ronnie!

If you didn't win, be sure to check my blog regularly as I often hold contests. http://lbelow.blogspot.com