Entertainment, IMHO, has nada to do with the creator’s ego. So in an effort to give you pure fun reading, I attempt to write this ditty and give you a laugh.
1. I speak Mandarin. (HUH?) And German. Very good German.
Why, you may well ask. The German comes from my father’s family, of which I am the fourth generation. The Chinese? Came as a choice when I decided to go to grad school.
2. There, I did my master’s in Chinese and Japanese History!
3. And I have taught both subjects on college level.
4. But I also taught foreign military officers to speak jargon English. YEP. For the United States Command when hubbie and I lived in Japan.
Great fun! And my collection of officers came from almost every country in the Far East except, of course, China! Irony, no?
5. I ran my own business for more than 20 years. I loved the independence of being my own boss. Having worked in the big corporate world, I saw the challenges of being “a good soldier.” Today, I often marvel at those who can do it, stay happy and centered and create new ideas inside the corporate “blender.”
6. I read any darn thing I have a mind to. Yoga Journal and Martha Stewart’s Living sit on my coffee table. But I just finished Empire by Steven Saylor and am on to a new novella by my buddy, Desiree Holt. Out soon, her book is titled HEAD GAMES about a sculptress. You MUST read this!
7. I work out three days a week. Plus I do Dance Jam on Saturdays. Grace, we got it. Style? Hmm. Not so much. At my age, I am happy to make it through the 60 minutes. Why? Because the hour is a combo of salsa, belly dancing and um…yeah, hip hop. I did write that: Hip hop.
8. I like to cook and travel. Not in any order. But all the time. The cooking means I must go to work out 3 times a week. The traveling means I have to write around all that.
9. I ADORE the new e-publishing business model. Now, I truly do write for the delight of conveying the story and have few worries about sell-thrus, reserves against returns, ad nauseam.
10. I am happy in my every day life. I have a spouse I adore--and have for more decades than I can believe! I have adult children and their spouses whom I celebrate and enjoy being with. I have a home I enjoy. I have friends I deeply treasure. I have work I crave like food and water. What could be better?