Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Genre Mashups

I don't know about you, but I love the recent popularity of genre mashups. For those of you who don't know, genre mashups are the blending of three or more genres into one story. Traditionally, these stories have been hard to categorize and were rarely published. With the recent surge in ebooks, these stories are increasing in popularity.

Recently, I decided to join the genre mash-up craze. In September, I have a new release coming out that is a wonderful mix of paranormal, historical and erotic romance (specifically, m/f BDSM). It was difficult to write and required a lot of research into the Shogun era in Japan and the samurai lifestyle. The scientist part of me loved the research aspect however, and I learned a lot of new things about ancient Japan.

Do you like samurai warriors? How about ancient Japanese goddesses? Then sign up for my quarterly newsletter in the right sidebar of my website (www.SuzanneRock.com). In September,

I'll share some behind the scenes trivia in the making of my new samurai paranormal, Honor Bound. I'll also pick one random subscriber to win a free .pdf copy of Honor Bound!

Meanwhile, here's a taste of the story:

Learn more about the story here.


Blurb:

Deep in the Hidaka Mountains, Akito is commissioned to capture the goddess of desire. He expects to use all of his samurai skills to complete the task. What he doesn’t expect is the resurrection of his deceased lover, or the number of immortals who wish them both dead.

Condemned to an eternity of loneliness, Jin curses the day the mother goddess tricked her into becoming immortal. When a seasoned samurai enters her prison, she’s determined to build the man’s desire so she can harness enough strength to break the bonds that tie her to the mountain. As the intruder makes himself known, memories long buried rise to the surface and Jin becomes desperate for Akito to believe the truth – that she is his beloved. Can she earn his trust in time, or will they both succumb to the forces that strive to keep them apart?

Excerpt:

“Jin. Your name is Jin.”


Jin froze. The stranger didn’t call her Vistaka, but used her human name. How did he find out something so intimate? She blinked and continued drying her hair. His use of her real name should have made her angry, but it somehow sounded right coming from his lips.


“That name lost its meaning a long time ago.” Jin caught his shadow along the rock wall in the periphery of her vision. This man knew much about her, and that was unnerving. Who was this shadowed warrior? She watched the far wall of the cavern and saw his shadow move closer. His earthy scent became stronger, reminding her that his sign, like his scent, was of the earth and incompatible with her water nature. He was hard and unyielding. She was soft and malleable. Was that how he was able to resist her charms?


The shadow raised his arms, and Jin saw the outline of the katana and wakizashi along the rock wall in front of her, the two samurai swords crossed behind her back. Slowly they inched forward until the “v”-opening surrounded her neck. All it would take would be one small jerk of his arms, and her head would become separated from her body. It wouldn’t kill her, she could turn into her spirit form before the fatal blow, but it would be incredibly annoying.


The hairs on Jin’s neck stood at attention as the swords inched closer. What to do? Jin’s mind raced with possibilities. Panic threaded through her body and she did what she always did the only thing she could think of that could calm her nerves.


She closed her eyes and began to hum. It was an old childhood tune, and one she often drew upon when she needed to focus her magic.

The stranger hesitated. “That voice.”


“You like it?” She opened her eyes and watched the wall in front of her. The shadow flexed its fingers around the swords at her neck.


“I knew someone who used to sing that song once.”


“It’s a popular song.” She tilted her head back, then winced as she felt the edge of the blade move against her hair. “You know my name, young samurai, but I don’t know yours.”


The swords wavered, as if the stranger suddenly felt the heavy weight of the blade and adjusted the hilt in his hands. Jin felt his anger weaken and his desire build once more.


“Am I not to know the name of my killer?” she asked.


“My name, like yours, lost its meaning a long time ago.”


She closed her eyes and searched for the answer among the scattered thoughts of his mind. He must have become wise to her powers, for everything was closed to her except for the deep longing he felt in his bones.


She opened her eyes. “It is as you say.”


“Come with me.” He lowered his swords and replaced them within his obi.


Jin glanced over her shoulder at his outstretched hand. “You know I can’t do that.” She waved her fingers in the air. “This is my prison.” Bitterness gnawed in her gut as the words passed over her lips. She cast it aside.


“If you don’t come, I’ll be forced to kill you.”


Fool. Did he really think he could kill a goddess? “You can’t harm me with your man-made trinkets.”


“No, but I can with this.”

6 comments:

booklover0226 said...

Loved the excerpt; it was great.

Another book for my must have list!

Thanks,
Tracey D
booklover0226 at gmail dot com

Stacie said...

I enjoy genre mashups as well. I think it is a fun way to keep stories fresh and for writers to step out of their comfort zone.

user1123 AT comcast DOT net

Toni said...

I can honestly say I have never thought of reading a book like this. Now I'm intrigued.

tsteinerid(gmail)

books4me said...

Great excerpt! Love Japanese samuris!

books4me67 at ymail.com

Na said...

I read multiple genres and enjoy them all. Genre mashups are fairly new to me but I think I'm really going to like them. I'll have to keep an eye out for them. I can imagine it would be a challenge but also a fun thing for writers and readers. It means more unique stories. The idea of samurai warrior or Japanese goddess does appeal.

Gabrielle Lee said...

This sounds like an interesting read.

Gabrielle
meingee@yahoo.com