Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Inspiration For Love With A Little Kink

For many, the idea of BDSM is a new idea, something that seems to be popular just recently. In truth, it's been around for almost as long as people have been having sex. I have to admit that until I began reading books with a BDSM slant, I paid little attention to it. About two years ago, I began to enjoy erotic romances and erotica with BDSM in the stories, but as a author, I had no plans to write the theme into any of my stories.  Then one day, out of the blue, it was there, and a story was begun.

Actually, my novella Love's Master, originated from something called The Agony Column.  This column appeared in the Times of London throughout the 19th century and even into the mid-20th century.  In the 1800s, it was actually on the first page of the newspaper because very few people had any interest in reading actual news.  The Agony Column was far more interesting, with its secret notes between lovers and coded messages from business partners to secret investors.  Even family members looking for long lost brothers and sisters used the column to communicate.

The column was full of sadness, despair, and passion, and a brief read of it shows much of what life was like in a time when the written word was vital to contacting others.  I found The Agony Column, and it didn't take long before a notice jumped right out at me.  Referring to something I highly doubt had anything to do with BDSM, the advertisement said S.B is a strict disciplinarian and not afraid of an unruly pupil (or something very close to that).  As soon as I saw it, I thought, "That's a great idea for a story--an erotic romance with BDSM!"

It didn't take long for a story to form and in the end, Love's Master became my second novella set in Victorian England after Vampire Dreams, which began what has grown into a trilogy. Here's the blurb for Love's Master to give you a little taste:

23 year old Lily finds herself widowed and forced to live with her brother and his family, including his eight year old son William, who is nothing short of a terror.  Sure she cannot go another day with his behavior, she begins to search for a new nanny and tutor for her nephew with little success.  But when she happens across an advertisement in the Times that seems to be the answer to her problem, she is set on a path that will take her where she's never been before.  Victorian England is a place of strict social codes, and the sensual world she enters is strictly forbidden for a woman of her social stature.

Her guide in this world is a man named Kadar, and the feelings he stirs in Lily threaten to change her forever.  However, Victorian society is never far away, and her brother intends on seeing his sister remarried and settled into a home near him in Regent's Park.  Lily will have to choose between Kadar,who makes her feel more alive than she ever believed she could and Captain Mason Danvers, the gentleman who can offer her security and comfort for the rest of her life. 

For an adult excerpt from Love's Master, visit my blog at http://gbisset.blogspot.com/p/loves-master.html

And leave a comment telling me if you like BDSM in stories or if you haven't tried any yet, do you think you would.  I'd love to hear your ideas!

9 comments:

Sherry said...

I like a little BDSM in a story but if it gets hardcore then I can't hardly read it. I couldn't imagine ever doing any of the things I've read in these stories.

sstrode at scrtc dot com

Stacie said...

I've read several BDSM stories from the light to the very dark. I like to see the characters stop fighting their true natures and finally accept who they are and what they want.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Robin said...

If well written I like BDSM stories!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

forums said...

This was just right for the beginning of their relationship!

Cathy M said...

I do like a little bdsm, more the command and cherish that the really intense stuff.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Gabrielle said...

Thanks! I went the light route with Love's Master because it was a light story. :)

Na said...

BDSM in stories is new to me because I haven't come across it. When I read a book I pay more attention to the blurb than to the genre. If a story sounds great then I will read it and in doing so I have come across many new elements. I also love the covers for your Vampire series. The way the colours come together reminds me of a magical moonlight night.

Toni said...

I have not found one I don't like yet. Maybe it is just good choices, but so far so good.

tsteinerid(gmail)

msmjb65 said...

I had never read anyting with a BDSM theme up until about a year ago and instantly liked it, if written well, of course. I think it was because it spoke to a part of myself that I had never acknowledged regarding being interested in taking part in it.
I'm unattached at the momnet so it's all fantasy material for now, but I've been trying to find out more info about it and have done some research.
I'm going to your blog now to checkout the excerpt.

Mara
msmjb65 AT gmail DOT com