Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Sunday, July 31, 2011

Karenna Colcroft's Dietary Habits


That's probably one of the weirdest headlines for this anniversary celebration... Then again, I am pretty weird, so I suppose it fits.

Back in October 2005, I became vegetarian. I went out to lunch with a friend of mine who was vegan. It was the first time we'd gone t lunch together, even though I'd met him four or five months earlier, and I wasn't sure if he would be offended by my eating meat in front of him. To be on the safe side, I ordered the same thing he did. I discovered that without eating meat, I felt full but not uncomfortable, so I decided to give up meat for a week. After that, I just kept not eating it. (Until recently. I've gone back to eating some meat on my doctor's advice.)


So when someone on a private Yahoo group I belonged to asked how a werewolf could be vegan, in response to a new romance book that had just come out, I had a few ideas. And since I'm heavily prone to plot bunnies, those ideas grew into a novel. That novel, Salad on the Side, was released by MLR Press in June. Kyle Slidell, vegan and computer geek, hasn't met many of his neighbors since moving to Boston. But he's seen enough of his neighbor Tobias Rogan to develop a major crush, and he's thrilled to learn that Tobias returns his interest.

One night in the garden shared by his and Tobias's apartment buildings, Kyle is attacked by a wolf, and his world is turned inside out. Not only is he now a werewolf; all of his neighbors are werewolves as well, and Tobias is the pack Alpha.

You can find out more about Salad on the Side on the MLR Press website or visit the book's page on my website.

5 comments:

Stacie said...

A werewolf that doesn't eat meat is certainly a unique spin on the genre. Discovering that you have been surrounded by a pack of wolf shifters must have been a shock to the hero.

User1123 AT comcast DOT net

Sherry said...

This sounds like a great book and a lot different than most werewolf stories. I look forward to reading it.

sstrode at scrtc dot com

Na said...

Very unique. I like the idea of a werewolf who is a vegan. It makes me all the more curious about what other unique traits the werewolf has.

Robin said...

Oooh, must be tough for a werewolf not to eat meat!

Robin D
robindpdx (at) yahoo (dot) com

Cathy M said...

An interesting concept, and I am going to have to check out your story now.


caity_mack at yahoo dot com