Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, August 19, 2011

GUEST BLOG: KELLI A. WILKINS



Do you "act out" the love scenes in your books? Is the sex in your books based on your real experiences? How much of the book is real? Is it hard to write love scenes? How much research did you do to write the sex scenes?


Believe it or not, these are some of the most common things I’m asked when people find out I write romances. The questions usually come from relatives or others who are trying to get under my skin. (Or folks who are just clueless.)

When it first happened, I didn’t know how to respond. I didn’t want to be completely rude, but after they probed and pestered me, snickering to themselves, I decided to answer the questions. Being a creative writer, I came up with the following:


"No, I don’t act out the love scenes. Do you think mystery writers practice killing people for their books?"
"Nope, sorry. I made up all that sex. In fact, I even made up those characters… that’s what makes it fiction. (And no, the dinosaurs in Jurassic Park weren’t real either!)



"Love scenes aren’t hard to write. I just spy on my characters and write down what they do."

The short answers seem to work just fine. I don’t think the hecklers would sit still and listen long enough to hear some of the real answers that include characterization, plotting, pacing, editing, etc…

Love scenes (or sex scenes, or whatever you want to call them) are fun to write. You get to let the characters run wild, experiment, and do whatever comes natural. Writing love scenes is always a process of discovery. I base the intensity and actions in the scene on the particular story, plot, and characters. What’s going on in the bedroom (or study, or bathtub, or…wherever) has to flow naturally into the story and match the characters’ personalities. This is true for straight romance, as well as gay romance.

Certain characters in my books (like Prince Allan from The Pauper Prince) are up (literally!) for anything, while other characters (Lauren, from The Sexy Stranger) are more conservative. David and Jack, the gay heroes in Four Days with Jack are discovering their mutual attraction for each other and are embracing their newfound love. I wrote the “gay” love scenes just like I’d write any “straight” love scene (for those who have already asked!) – by spying on the characters and letting them tell me how far to take things – and when.


There are also a lot of intense sexual scenes in my book, A Midsummer Night’s Delights, as Julian and Annabelle open up to their hidden desires and experiment (with multiple and same-sex partners), but those scenes allow them to grow and learn about themselves over the course of the story. And, yes, it is a story.

People read books to escape into a different world for a little while and get involved in the lives of the characters - whether they’re reading mysteries, romance, crime, or horror fiction. In the end, it doesn’t matter how kinky or detailed the sex scenes are between the lovers – all that’s important is that they have a happy-ever-after ending.

Happy reading,
Kelli

ABOUT THE AUTHOR:
Kelli A. Wilkins has published 13 erotic romances with Amber Quill Press. Her stories range from mild to scorching hot and are all 100% fiction. So far in 2011, she has released two erotic romances: A Perfect Match and Four Days with Jack. Learn more about Kelli at: http://www.kelliwilkins.com/ and
http://www.amberquill.com/AmberHeat/bio_Wilkins.html

Kelli also writes a blog: http://kelliwilkinsauthor.blogspot.com/. Each week she writes about her books, the writing life, posts reviews, offers writing tips, gives prompts, and shares anything else that pops into her head.

Readers can also find Kelli at these sites:
Twitter: @KWilkinsauthor



No comments: