Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, August 29, 2011

GUEST BLOG: KIKI HOWELL

Good Verses Evil In Romance


I have to admit,I like a hero and heroine who the universe continually tries to pull apart. Give me romantic angst! Give me that unbreakable desire even though they know that the world will try to break them up before they even get started. I have done this several times in my writing, separating by social class in historicals, even creating a world where wizards and sorcerers didn’t get along due to the differences in their magic in a contemporary.

I have gotten the complaints from readers saying that they just wanted to scream for my couple to get together. I apologize for any frustration I may have caused, but again, that was kind of what I was going for in a way. For some stories, I want the reader to actually get to a point where they wonder how a happy ever after is even possible. This takes a lot of plotting to do, but then, I enjoy that part of writing.

For me, these scenarios can enhance the romance, make the moments they are together hotter, more extreme. So, I had to try to write an angel and demon story. I am drawn to those types of books, knowing that they are the extremes of opposites attract, of good verses evil. They are doomed before they ever even meet. Well, I love a challenge! In fact, when I was writing my novella, A Questionable Hero, I kept joking that I had spent the day trying to get a demon into Heaven. No small feat there ;)

So, what about you? Do you agree? So do you like stories where everything around the main couple seems to tear them apart? What part of the story do you prefer your suspense be connected to - whether the hero and heroine can be together, or would you rather they be together, but be running for their lives or some other dilemma?

Ever since she was young, Kiki Howell has loved to listen to a well-woven tale with real characters, inspired plots, and delightful resolutions. Kiki could spend hours lost in a book, and soon she knew that creating lives, loves, and losses with just words had to be the greatest thing that she could do. To that end, she pursued her study of literature and writing, earning a bachelor’s degree in English. She then followed in a Master’s program in Creative Writing.

“After a long break having my boys, I finally just had to write again. And, as soon as I gave the stories the space, they entered it. It’s both awesome and humbling to find the words in my mind become characters on a page and create their lives.”

She has now had over twenty stories published between five different small presses. She could not be more thrilled or grateful to see her creations polished and out in the real world. Although, a bit of caution, most of her stories tend to hang out on the graphically sexy side of town.

No comments: