Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, September 26, 2011

Guest Blog: DC Juris

Gone to the Dogs


Hi folks! DC Juris here. I'll be your guest host for today. For those of you who don't know me, I'm a transgender fella who writes GLBTQ and heterosexual romance, but mostly m/m.

For today's prompt, and because I'm generally crappy at coming up with things to blog about, I asked my Facebook friends what they want to know. My good friend, and fellow m/m romance writer, Ellis Carrington came up with six questions—here's one of them: What is your favorite dog breed?

You might think this would be a hard question for me to answer. After all, I work for a veterinarian. I see literally thousands of dogs in a year. How could I possibly pick one? But I can!

My favorite dog breed is without a doubt the Miniature Pinscher. Hands down, there's nothing like a min pin for loyalty and devotion. They want to be with you at all times, they're curious and tenacious and have two speeds: Go and Asleep. But I didn't always have such a deep love for the breed. Growing up, I loved the show Magnum P.I. I always said I'd have four Doberman Pinschers when I was an adult—two named Zeus and Apollo, after the dogs on the show, and the other two named Magnum and Higgins. But Dobermans were far too big for me, so the dream fizzled out. Imagine my delight when I discovered min pins. Thought not actually related at all, they're visually like…well…miniature Dobermans.

Our first min pin, whom we named Higgins, came to us as a shelter adoption. His owners, who weren't supposed to have him in their rental, had abandoned him to the streets. Their neighbors managed to catch him several weeks later, and took him to the local dog warden. At first, he only liked my husband. In fact, the shelter staff was amazed because they said he didn't like men. But Hubby walked right in, picked the dog up, and he earned a nubbin wag and a cheek lick. It took him a while to warm up to me, but once he did, I quickly became one of his pack.

Our second min pin came to us in a much darker situation. A dog control officer came into our vet clinic with what he said was a Teacup Chihuahua. The dog was four pounds of bruised, bloody mess. She was old, with a graying muzzle and had clearly been used as a breeding dog for most of her life, judging by the size of her nipples. The few teeth she had left were rotten and decayed, and she'd been beaten and left for dead. We discovered she wasn't a Chihuahua at all, but a severely underweight min pin! After giving her an exam, our veterinarian prepared to humanely euthanize her. But then, something happened. The little girl lifted her head and looked straight into my eyes. She wasn't done—she wanted to live.

I turned my big brown eyes on our surgeon, and several hours and several, several bags of fluids later, my husband came to see her. She wagged her nubbin, licked his fingers, and he whispered, "Well, hello sunshine. What a pretty little Ginger girl you are." That was the year 2005. She came to live with us about three months after coming to the clinic. She had chronic arthritis, messed up discs in her back, and over the next few years, she developed heart failure. But none of that ever stopped her. Ginger passed away in 2009, and now makes her home in a ginger jar on the top shelf in my kitchen.

We still have Higgins. He's old and crotchety, but still runs and plays. We're still not too certain what he thinks of the two puppies in the house, but he hangs out with his old pal, Duncan, an ancient West Highland Terrier who likes his bed and his food, and not much else.

We keep saying that when all four of these guys finally pass, there'll be no more dogs. We'll have peace in the house for once! But I think…most likely…there'll probably be a sweet little black and tan baby in our future. If not two. J

ABOUT THE AUTHOR: A Southern transplant who has retained none of his accent but all of his charm, DC Juris is an out and proud transgender bisexual living in Upstate New York with his husband, four dogs, three cats, and a menagerie of Halloween props just creepy enough to keep people guessing about his sanity. He's still hopelessly single when it comes to the woman in his life, and he'll gladly entertain offers or applications for the position! In the rare event that he's not writing, DC can be found surfing the internet for random research, killing things on his Xbox, reading, taking pictures of the world around him, or playing Farmville, to which he admits a complete and totally blissful addiction. You can keep up with him at www.facebook.com/dcjuris, or www.dcjuris.com.

2 comments:

Wendi Zwaduk said...

There is something about big brown eyes that is sweet. We thought we'd have just one dog and well, when the beagle basset was at the pound...I couldn't turn her down.

Great post and love your stories!!

Wendi

DC Juris said...

Hi Wendi! Thanks for stopping by! I know what you mean about those eyes! I'm a sucker for big eyes and a sad punim! I think pets are like chips, though - even if you try to have just one, you know you're going back for more!! LOL