Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Hello! Lord Byron Here. Let Me Introduce You to My Friends!


His soul-mate predicted to come “from afar,” will Logan, Earl of Davenport, aided by his friend Lord Byron -- and Logan’s favourite riding crop -- find his destiny when the independent Esme Tyme finds herself transported from contemporary Boston, Massachusetts to Regency England?

As the resident literary giant among these other mortals, let me introduce you to myself and a few of my friends. I use many names, but you may know me best as George
Gordon, the Lord Byron. Prior to my introduction to the Shelleys, my closest friend and confidante is Logan Davenport -- the Earl of Davenport to you. However, having t
he good fortune to witness Esme Tyme's fantastical arrival to my era and into my friend's bed, as well as his
heart, I well know how you 21st century creatures make free with familiarity.

Ah yes...the woman here in my own arms? Of no consequence...except to her favorite clients here in the local brothel, located no great distance from Logan's country estates.

While there are no limits to the number of best lines I write, my personal favorite utterance in this story I direct towards Logan as he moons over his comely time-traveler Esme: "You act as if your head is up your arse in her presence."


Allow me to
make proper introductions to Esme Tyme's best friends and
business partners, the fair Charisse Thibodeau and her husband Timone. While Charisse exits o
ur story early, her attention to authenticity and detail planning a masked ball she throws to launch the opening of their new Boston offices marks the beginning of Esme's adventure into Logan's arms. I much regret the lovely Charisse traveled not with her friend. If she too ever does bridge that great divide of time, I confess: I much prefer she travel light, without any baggage labeled "spouse."

Charisse's most astute observation: “Getting off to your ‘Lord of the Locket’ works great for your fantasy life, Esme, but let’s find you a man with a heartbeat for this party."

Esme finds herself dancing a few steps at the launch party with this mysterious stranger dressed in an exquisite Regency "costume." This, of course, constitutes usual garb for Logan in his world. Note: he checked his riding crop at the door....

My favorite line among Logan's many rants regarding his erstwhile house-guest: “She enjoys the riding crop, Lord Byron. I fear to fuel the fire. Perhaps this will cool her fever.”

This he tells Esme prior to dumping her in a river

Ah, romance....

As one of Logan's house-guests, I witness most of the encounters and clashes between these two proud, independent, stubborn people.

In the middle of yet another heated argument, Logan does what Esme least expects: he leans over to kiss her, this, in spite of the passionate coupling they share prior, their first kiss….They make love in a pounding storm (I know -- I watched), the servants making themselves smaller than usual when the mud-covered lord emerges back into his house, carrying the equally filthy Esme in his arms.


I hope you enjoy reading Esme and Logan's story as much as I enjoyed writing it!

Maria-Claire

Maria-Claire Payne
http://www.maria-clairepayne.com

http://www.maria-clairepayne.com/blog

Making Love from Payne...because, sometimes...Love Hurts

Bending Tyme Available from Total-E-Bound

Unstrung Available from Pink Petal Books





8 comments:

Jean P said...

That was a great story, gives us insight into the characters.

skpetal AT hotmail DOT com

Maria-Claire Payne said...

Thanks, Jean! I love doing character biographies. I have them up on my website for both of my release thus far -- and am working on others for upcoming stories :)

Maria-Claire

Na said...

I like the sound of your characters! Esme sounds feisty and independent, perfect to stir a lot of scandal and steal a heart or two in the Regency.

Maria-Claire Payne said...

She is, Na! Stop by my website to read a steamy X-rated excerpt or pop on over to Goddess Fish Party Pavilion at http://goddessfishparty.blogspot.com/ and look me up to read a PG-rated excerpt!

Thanks for stopping by -- and Happy Halloween!

Maria-Claire

Erin O'Riordan said...

OK - this goes on my must-read list!

Maria-Claire Payne said...

Wow, Erin! I would be honored to have you read this story! I got my "treats" early this year. I am flattered you enjoyed this :)

Maria-Claire

elaing8 said...

They sound like great characters.I'm putting this book on the TBRlist.
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Maria-Claire Payne said...

Hi, E! I do love these characters :) Hope you will too!

Maria-Claire