Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Should Vampires Sparkle?


Third post and I'm sure I'm gonna start a war, but... I saw this button on facebook in the flair. I'll give my opinion in a moment.

So who am I using for examples? Why the guy from Twilight and no, I've never seen the movie. I'm going to catch it, but I tried the book, didn't like it, wanted to throw it against the wall and calmly gave it to someone who thoroughly enjoyed it.


I don't know. Maybe it was the whine. Maybe it was the teen angst of it. Just didn't work for me.

Can a vampire sparkle? If it's Lafayette.

Now the last time I checked (and I'm sure someone will call me on this if I'm wrong), he wasn't a vampire, but he does work the glitter darn well. Plus, he's got the best lines.

So now that I have your attention with the pictures (or have you fuming), here's my theory on sparkling vampires.

I want a vampire that's:
scary - well, yeah, he's got fangs and can potentially rip my throat open, so scary it is
sexy in a dangerous fashion - that's the whole sex and violence thing. If he's not dead, totally, then well, he'd better be hot
dangerous - liable to go off at any second and capable of destroying things. Yep, he should be able to.
Have emotions but not be all emo and depressing - yes, I've written a vampire that's a tad moody, but he's not angsty and emo. He has his own thoughts and feelings and can crush things if he wants.

Am I wrong? Not because it's my opinion. Do I think I'll get responses for or against my thoughts? I'd be sad if I didn't. So now I ask you, do you want the UF vampires, all Nosferatu and such or do you like the soft and squishy sweet ones?

Let me know.

Now I do believe I promised an excerpt. I never skimp on promises. Here you go! The blurb, links and that smokin' hot excerpt. Enjoy My Immortal!


What’s a girl to do when she finds out the man of her dreams is a 340-year-old vampire? Run like hell or offer her heart.

Being a vampire hasn’t been easy for Storm Richardson. He’s not programmed to kill or harm, unless he needs to feed. When he meets Stephanie 'Stevie' Persing, he knows he’s found his mate. But if he crosses the line between work and play, he risks losing the only person who matters—her.

Stevie’s been in love with Storm since the moment she laid eyes on him. He’s brooding, intense, and her one weakness. But is her heart too steep a price to pay for his love, especially when she discovers his deepest secrets?

Reader Advisory: This book contains minimal scenes of rape in a flashback as well as smokin’ hot sex in a hot tub, a pickup truck, and the shower.


EXCERPT:
“Storm, we’re working the Chatty Catty Club tonight to catch Bruce Tripp in the act. Edie’s ready to rip me apart because we haven’t produced any damning pictures. Doesn’t your friend Falco bounce there?”

Storm frowned and glared out the window at the illuminated main drag of New Haven, Ohio. The neon highlighted the front row of stores and the silvery sidewalk stretching into the distance, but he didn’t need the enhanced lighting.

Being a vampire hyper charged his senses. He could see things at great distances, feel the tiniest pinprick on his supersensitive skin, and hear every conversation in a crowded bar. He didn’t need the work as a private investigator—being immortal gave him a lot of time to save up his resources. Then again, to stay under the radar, he didn’t stick to one profession for more than a few years. Blending in worked just fine, until he met Stevie.

Stevie managed to whip his sense of smell and taste into warp drive. The sweet scent of her fear knotted his insides. He didn’t want her to be afraid when they were on the cusp of catching yet another cheating spouse. What was the true reason for her apprehension? He yearned to climb into her mind and help ease her fears.

For the night to go smoothly, he needed to pull his thoughts away from Stevie and continue mentally prepping. Their current client, the ever-exciting Edie Tripp, was just that—a trip and a pain in the ass. She made his brain ache. She suspected her husband of cheating with his secretary and wanted Storm and Stevie to catch him in the act, or as close to ripping the sheets as possible.

He needed something to get his mind off the pesky woman and the lousy way he was about to spend a perfectly beautiful Friday night.

“So, will Todd be there?” Stevie asked, her voice tinged with annoyance. “You didn’t answer me.”

“Yes, sweetheart. Todd’s the bouncer, and yes, he’ll be there. ” Storm smirked. His friend and fellow vampire, Todd Falco, could crush iron with his bare hands.

At the traffic signal, Stevie screeched to a halt. She turned to him and rolled her eyes. “You know what I meant, Storm. Do you think he could get us through the line faster? I hate to wait in heels. Then again, you know how much I hate working in heels to begin with.”

Storm rubbed his jaw, blotting out a smile. She hated anything but comfy sneakers or good old socks. Unfortunately, clubbing required sexy clothing and footwear. Whether she was comfy or not, she looked darn cute jacked up four inches in knee-high boots.

“If we cut in line, honey, then we’ll give ourselves away. The point is to blend in, so don’t worry about the heels. You’ll be able to sit at the bar. Allan’s waiting on you to give you the scoop about our clients.”

Like it was possible for him to disappear in the crowd; he was a freaking vampire. A bloodsucker and damned sex fiend.

He couldn’t blend in if he tried.

Women clung to him in droves, claiming they liked his raw sex appeal. He never understood the draw. When he looked in the mirror, all he saw was a monster in expensive clothing longing to regain his humanity.

Stevie stuck out her bottom lip in a pout and distracted him from his pity-party. “Fine, but this time, you’d better act like you want to be there with me. The only attention I got Tuesday night came from the tacky bartender and what he wanted was a better tip. Fortunately, Allan’s more of a gentleman. Still, we aren’t acting like a convincing team when you pretend I don’t exist.”


About Wendi Zwaduk:
I always dreamed of writing the stories in my head. Tall, dark, and handsome heroes are my favorites, as long as he has an independent woman keeping him in line. I tend to write books with titles taken from songs because music is one of my many muses.
I earned a BA in education at Kent State university and as well as a Masters in Education from Nova Southeastern University. I've tried my hand at teaching, waitressing, and retail sales, but writing holds my heart.

I love NASCAR, romance, books in general, Ohio farmland, dirt racing, and my menagerie of animals. I have more stories in my head than my brain can handle percolating. I can't wait to share them with you!

www.wendizwaduk.com
www.wendizwaduk.blogspot.com

10 comments:

Natasha Blackthorne said...

Great excerpt, Wendi, I am currently reading this story and loving it. :)

elaing8 said...

I don't want my vampires all scary but I don't want them sparkly(although every teenage girl out there likes them that way) and depressing either. I like a tough, take charge kinda vampire but has a soft spot when he's with the right person.

Great excerpt.I have to add this book to my list.
elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Jean P said...

Great post, I couldn't get the sparkle aspect of the Twilight vampires. Just not what I always pictured vampires as. Enjoyed the excerpt, putting this one on my to buy list

Wendi Zwaduk said...

I picture vampires as scary, but sexy...if that makes sense. Thanks Natasha. Glad you're liking the book. :-) Thanks for stopping by elaing8 and jean! Hope you enjoyed the post!

Na said...

I never got into the Twilight frenzy. I admit to watching a bit of the first movie but ended up laughing. I thought it was a comedy. Maybe one day I'll give it another try. As for vampires sparkling, I don't care either way so long as they have something thta interests me. Thanks for sharing an excerpt :)

Wendi Zwaduk said...

Hi Na! Glad you stopped by. I couldn't make it through the first Twilight movie. I wandered too much I guess. :-)

Nancy G said...

I just can't understand the attraction of 'sparkly' vampires-give me Mick St. John, Nicholas Knight, or Henry Fitzhugh any day-nice solidly sexy bloodsuckers who are just as likely to get a girl to offer her neck or her other more girly parts.

Wendi Zwaduk said...

goofy as it might sound, barnabas could get a chicky's britches off faster...he had that creepy but magnetic way about him.

Erin O'Riordan said...

I'm an unabashed Twilight fan. When I saw the first movie, I was actually a little disappointed - I'd pictured Edward in the sunlight even a little sparklier!

Edward's not that soft and squishy, anyway...he did rip Victoria's head off, after all. (...Which totally should have happened to Bryce Dallas Howard's character in 'The Help,' too, by the way. Nelsan Ellis of Lafayette fame should have turned out to be a vampire in that.)

Wendi Zwaduk said...

I knew I'd stir things up with this post. But this is the great thing about books and movies. What might not be my cuppa, is totally someone else's. And that's fantastic. Edward wasn't my cuppa, but hey, the more for you Erin. :-)

I kinda wanted Lafayette to become a vamp, myself, just because I could see him having so much fun with it. But I haven't seen the Help yet, so on that I have no idear.