Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, November 18, 2011

GUEST BLOG: RAINE DELIGHT

How do you name your characters?  

Well that question stumps me each and every time I am asked that. How do I name my characters…well for one thing, my characters have a mind of their own. If I say Character A is named Max, he will turn around and say “My name is Derrick, not Max” and frankly overpower my muse's desires. I can try to get a word edgewise in but it is a losing battle. I learned early on to give them free rein on their names and personality traits. I like to be surprised by their comments and desires. One day I was working a WIP (work in progress) and found myself instead of dealing with a vampire like I originally planned, he wanted to be a were-tiger instead. Needless to say after butting heads with him, I found myself agreeing he works better as a tiger, especially if he is a rare white tiger with no pride. Hence forth, my next Devon Falls story, Moonlight & Magic was born and I am currently trying to finish the edits on it. You can find more on it on my website (http://authorrainedelight.com) or on my blog (http://authorrainedelight.wordpress.com).

In my Haunting Magic story (out now at Secret Cravings Publishing), I tell a tale of a wolf shifter named Rodrick Dracon. Now he was a fun character to create. He was the playboy of Devon Falls and loved the ladies. But alas, destiny has a way of slapping you in the face when it decided that its time to settle down. When fate picked his mate, the feisty and annoying Jaxon, lots of sparks fly and passion boils over. These two characters struck me when I mentioned them in Fiery Magic as secondary characters. They had so many sparks flying; it was any wonder that their story just had to be told. You have to check out the book trailer a friend made for me. Hot sexy man candy to feast your eyes on with haunting *no pun intended* music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvmFxgLQtx4)

My inspiration for my characters tends to revolve around Johnny Depp. Anyone who knows me knows I love this man's acting ability. He plays a wide variety of parts and always seems to deliver a stellar performance each time. So basically all my heroes tend to look like him and go from there.
:-) Though I have to say some things caught my imagination like what would happen if gamma rays from space hit earth and wiped the planet out…what would happen to the few survivors? That made me think and since I was watching POTC with Johnny, I created my Space Pirates- all alpha male, dominant and sexy fun. :-)


So I have a question for you readers, what character's name was the best you hear or the silliest? I look forward to hearing your answers.

Raine Delight loves to be pampered by her harem of men that exist solely for her pleasure. Wait…..that was in a movie she saw. Hey, she can dream. :-) Raine loves to fight with her muse, attack her manuscripts and find a way to silence the many voices in her head. Inspiration hits at odd times and for Raine, a blank word document page gives her many possibilities on story ideas.  Living with her two kids, a significant other who supports her every move in writing and doesn't seem to mind she gets up at 2 am to type away on the computer. With a love for Johnny Depp, movies and 80's hair bands, Raine finds a way to bring all her chaotic thoughts into a story that tells her readers about love and romance.

Website: http://authorrainedelight.com

Raine's Blog: http://authorrainedelight.wordpress.com

Author/Reader Loop: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Author_Raine_Delight

Email me: rainedelight@yahoo.com

Facebook: www.facebook.com/AuthorRaine-Delight

Secret Cravings Publishing: www.secretcravingspublishing.com

2 comments:

Debby said...

I love your name. Great post. I will dream of a harem to night
debby236 at gmail dot com

VampedChik said...

Love the excerpt! Going onto my wishlist. Hm.. I know I've read tons of great names but for the life of me can't think of a single one right now! LOL Oh Sookie Stackhouse!!! When I first read the books way back when I just died at the name!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com