Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Friday, December 9, 2011

GUEST BLOG: AMY VALENTI

I’m just going to come out and say it: I’m kind of bored of vampires. I feel like they need some RIP time – after all, you can only do so much with bloodsucking fiends before you’ve seen it all, right?

Zombies are getting that way, too. There have been a whole lotta zombie movies lately – not so much erotic zombies (though let’s not forget the B-movie named Zombie Strippers, which I watched in amused, grossed-out disbelief a few months ago), but the media seems to have latched onto zombies as the ‘next big thing’.

The whole vampire thing has just become kind of ridiculous, though – I’m not going to out-and-out bash Twilight since I know it has a lot of fans, but sparkly vampires seems to be scraping the bottom of the idea barrel a little bit!

While I’m on the subject of vampire fiction, I have to say that I loved the Daybreakers movie – the idea of humans being an endangered species because the vampires have sucked so many of us dry really made me think about it all in a new way.

Anyway, moving on from my personal views of vampires…

I wanted to see if I could write something different, so I sat down and thought about the whole vampire mythos. If I was going to write something non-vampiric, but kind of along those lines, then all the obvious things had to go. Death by sunlight, instant healing, stakes through the heart, garlic, crosses, fangs and blood-sucking…

What does that leave?

Vampires are takers – they take blood, and unless they feel like giving you immortality or sex, they don’t give you a whole lot in return. Instead of blood, I decided my ‘not-vampires’ should take human life force, which would be electrical, since the muscles in our bodies move as a result of electrical impulses sent from the brain to whatever we’re moving. Well, that’s a really simplified explanation, anyway.

So my ‘not-vampires’, which I decided to name psivores, are still takers, but they’re not blood-takers. They can pass themselves off as human, but have a good sense of where the strongest sources of food are – the most energetic humans. In addition to that, after feeding from a human, they are sustained by the human’s life force until what remains in the body is processed and renewed naturally – the way that blood cells and bone marrow regenerate.

In short, only the crazy or sicko psivores kill their prey, because without the connection to the original source, the meal doesn’t last as long. Enter the antagonist of my little story, a psychotic psivore who’s out for the biggest meals he can get – and the good guy, who’s made it his mission to stop him.

Throw in a human chick with a very large store of life energy, a hefty dose of attraction between the protagonist psivore and this girl… and you have the general gist of Shocked, which is out in a couple of weeks from Total-E-Bound Publishing. Feel free to click on the cover.

Oh, one more thing! Did I mention psivores can make human skin tingle by manipulating the electrical impulses? It comes in handy in certain spots during sex… ;)

***

Amy Valenti is a tarnished tease, and her mind has lived in the gutter since the day she realised what sex was. She hails from England, which she doesn’t find quite as exotic and sexy as the average US citizen seems to, but if people want to compliment her on her accent, that’s all fine with her! Her muses are many, fickle and very demanding.

She has a degree in creative writing and currently works as a proofreader/copy editor. In her free time, she reads, writes and plays videogames. On the rare occasions she doesn’t have a laptop on her knee, she loves to curl up with friends and pets – and chocolate – for TV show and movie marathons.

You can find her at http://amyvalenti.wordpress.com

4 comments:

Debby said...

If I get bored with one group, I move on to another. Right now I am enjoying shape shifters.
debby236 at gmail dot com

wanda f said...

I realy enjoyed this post .I read everything paranormal I can get my hands on.The idea of non vampire vampires is intruiging and I cant wait to read more .
flanagan@mebtel.net

GladysMP said...

I'll be honest, I seldom venture into vampires. There is only so much time for reading and I am more into contemporary human dramas, but I did read your entire post.

Happy New Year to you and your vampires or whatever you venture into.

VampedChik said...

What happened to vampires being the bad guys? I mean I LOVED Buffy and Angel or Buffy and Spike but I loved the old school vamp movies were they were just killers. Don't get me wrong I've read and will probably continue to read the genre but I agree that it's getting to be a little much! Thanks so much for sharing!! Your books so going on my wishlist! :)
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com