Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Lila Dubois

Getting Coal for Christmas


Two years ago I got coal for Christmas. My young brother-in-law, who at that time was still just the brother of my fiance, and who was none to happy to share his beloved older brother, decided that I should get coal for Christmas. To be fair, my future sister-in-law and my fiance also got coal, having been deemed very bad siblings.

I've never been so excited by a Christmas present.

It wasn't just because my California-hot-house-flower self was FREEZING in my husband's homeland of rural Ireland, but because it was the first time I really felt like a member of the family. That coal (which was in a plastic bag rather than just a lump, as a lump of coal is very dirty) was a gift given only to the siblings, and now I had some of my own. I went on to spend hours watching DVDs of bad TV shows with my new sisters, cooked dinner with my future mother-in-law and started drinking with the sister closest in age to me when we lost power Christmas eve. That electricity-less Christmas, including Mass in a small stone parish church with my new family made me fall all the more in love with the brilliant man I'd proposed to.

When we did get married six months later my brother-in-law attached himself to my hip, even dancing with me, which I would never have expected. And it all started with some coal.

Bio: Lila is a multi-published, bestselling author of erotic, paranormal and fantasy romance. Having spent extensive time in France, Egypt, Turkey, Ireland and England, Lila speaks five languages, none of them--including English--fluently.

http://www.liladubois.net/

Lila will be giving away the winner's choice of any one of her titles in ebook format to one lucky commenter!

14 comments:

Jean P said...

What a wonderful story, it sounds like you have an amazing family.
Happy Holidays.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

elaing8 said...

Great holiday memory.Thanks for sharing.I got coal as a kid,but it turned out to be candy..lol

Happy Holidays!

elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Cathy M said...

Such a lovely tradition and a wonderful holiday memory, Lila. Thanks for sharing that with us.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Clare said...

What a sweet story. Not everyone is lucky enough to have great relationships with their in-laws.

Debby said...

I bought coal for my kids once as a joke. They saved it and bring it out every year.
debby236 at gmail dot com

wanda f said...

I love your post thats a great tradition.
flanagan@mebtel.net

Bookwyrm369 said...

LOL! What a great Xmas story :-) Thanks for sharing.

smaccall AT comcast.net

shadow_kohler said...

great story! your book sounds great! thanks!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

VampedChik said...

That's great! Sounds like my family! :) Happy Holidays!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

PaParanormalFan said...

That was such a Wonderful Holiday tradition Lila, thank you for sharing it with Us.
I LQQked at your website Lila, your books look Great! I would very much apppreicate the opportunity to be entered into your contest for the give away of winner's choice of any one of your titles in ebook formatTake Care & Happy Holidays,
Renee' S.
paranormalromancefan@yahoo.com

GladysMP said...

I've never gotten coal as a present, but as a joke my dad got a bunch of switches and had a girlfriend gift me with them when I was in elementary school. Everyone enjoyed the joke.

flchen1 said...

LOL! Sounds like you're one of the family now, Lila! I haven't gotten coal yet, but that's because in general, my sibs and I have agreed not to exchange gifts--we all chip in together to get stuff for Mom and Dad and do sometimes get stuff for each others' kids... Might have to look into coal for next year... :)

Glad your celebrating is merry and memorable, Lila (and FB!)

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Joanne said...

What a sweet story and a great memory. Most people have a love/hate relationship with their in-laws.

e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Unknown said...

Thank you all for entering!

Using random.org the selected winner is the 7th poster, Bookwyrm369.

Hope everyone is surviving the January blues.