Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Thursday, December 22, 2011

Stuff Your Stocking Blogfest: Tory Richards

Merry Christmas everyone! I hope your holiday season has been a stress free, enjoyable time so far. If so then it probably means you haven’t ventured out into the war zone, and by that I mean holiday shopping. I did a lot more on line shopping this year. You can find great deals with free shipping if you do a little research. Ebay has been a blessing as I was able to snatch up two Dooney and Burke purses for a fraction of what they sell in the stores. The recipients will be speechless, as both are designer purse junkies! I think I’ll leave on the retail tags just so they will think they’re even more special.

What do the holidays mean to you? I think it’s so sad when people get depressed around this time of year. I look forward to getting together with my family, meeting with friends for that little holiday celebration over dinner. Just yesterday a good friend and I met for lunch at our favorite once a month spot. We talked about everything but the holidays and in the end, before we got into our cars and drove away, we exchanged a little gift.

When I was growing up it was just me and my sister. I had no idea the kind of chaos large families went through until I met my first husband. He was the oldest of nine siblings! And all were only a year apart. My first Christmas with them was a rush of confusion, noise and happy excitement. I could barely catch my breath at all the commotion going on around me.
It was exhilarating! And what prompted me to write, The Promise. It’s a story of a large family who gathers at a Vermont farm for the holidays. But more than that, it’s the love story between a man and woman who each made a promise to the same man. A promise that comes between them as much as it binds them together.

It was fun, if not challenging writing a story with so many characters. I had a cheat sheet a mile long to help me keep it straight. I guess I did pretty good because I’ve received nothing but great reviews. And several recommended reads! And it’s also up for Romance of the Year at Deep in the Heart Romance, if you care to go over and vote.

Check out The Promise over the holidays. It’s offered at Liquid Silver Books. Below is a blurb and excerpt.

Blurb - Shannon Hayes’ husband David was killed in Iraq nearly a year ago, and now she must face her first holiday season without him. With a toddler in tow, she travels to the Vermont farm where the rest of the family has gathered for the holidays. There she comes face to face with the man who was with him when he died, and her destiny, his older brother Ryan.

For the first time in years, Ryan returns home to keep a promise he made to David—to take care of Shannon and their daughter. It’s a pledge Ryan is reluctant to keep because he’s been secretly in love with Shannon since first setting eyes on her. Their attraction to each other is instant, intense and soon the promise isn’t the only thing between them.


Excerpt

“Can I ask you a question, Ryan?”

“Sure.”

“Is the only reason we’re dancing now because you felt duty bound to protect me?”

His surprised expression revealed it was the last thing he expected her to ask, as they swayed slowly beneath the dim lights. The wood dance floor was crowded, forced them to remain in a tight circle, and Shannon closer against him. The masculine scent of soap and man assailed her senses, drugging her until she was under his spell. Desire began to weave slowly through her system, intensifying when she felt his growing erection.

“What do you think?”

She took a deep breath, as though to draw courage from it. “I think you’re a very honorable man. And because of that you’d protect anyone weaker than you, even someone you don’t particularly like.”

His gaze narrowed on her like a hawk zeroing in on prey. “You think I don’t like you?”

Shannon’s first thought was to say no, only how could she say that when his hard-on was pressing against her? “I’m not sure what you feel about me, after all, we don’t know each other very well. But I get the impression that you don’t want to like me. Does being around me remind you too much of David? I know it must be painful…”

The mention of his brother’s name turned his expression to stone. A muscle began to twitch in his taut jaw. “Don’t mention David’s name again when you’re in my arms, Shannon,” he muttered through clenched teeth. The glare in his eyes held her captive. “You think I don’t like you? My cock’s hard as stone right now.” He thrust it against her. “All I can think about is sliding it inside you and letting your pussy drain it dry.”

Shannon trembled from his words and lust rippled through her body in pleasurable waves. Her nipples hardened and tingled against Ryan’s chest. Desire soaked her panties. She was speechless, unsure if she should be offended or thrilled. She averted her gaze, afraid he would see the effect he was having on her.

As they continued to turn slowly around on the dance floor, her gaze sought out the rest of the family, thankful no one was paying them any mind. Ryan’s shaft throbbed against her relentlessly, turning her knees weak, and she clutched to the front of his leather jacket to keep from sinking to the floor. Her breathing accelerated. She was thankful the lighting in the bar was dim and when the song ended, she stepped out of
Ryan’s arms.

Before she made a fool of herself.

Tory Richards: http://www.toryrichards.com/

Liquid Silver Books: http://www.king-cart.com/cgi-bin/cart.cgi?store=linda018&cart_id=24932.15438&product_name=The+Promise&return_page=&user-id=&password=&exchange=&exact_match=exact

Deep in the Heart Romance: http://www.deepintheheartromance.com/p/vote-for-your-favorite-romance-of-year.html

Tory will be giving away 2012 calendar and an autographed copy of Wicked Desire (US/Canada only please) -- so leave a comment to be entered to win!

16 comments:

elaing8 said...

Amazing cover.Thanks for sharing the excerpt.Sounds great.

Happy Holidays!!

elaing8(at)netscape(dot)net

Joanne said...

Thanks for the excerpt. Can't wait to read this book.

e.balinski(at)att(dot)net

Na said...

Merry Christmas Tory! When it comes to holiday shopping, I like to stay indoors and sometimes sneak out during non-peak hours. Congrats on snagging those purses!

Cambonified(at)yahoo(dot)com

Debby said...

Great excerpt but holidays and no stress. I am not sure that is possible
debby236 at gmail dot com

shadow_kohler said...

Your book sounds so good! And what an great excerpt! Thank you for sharing! Happy holidays!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com

June M. said...

I don't think holidays with no stress are possible, unless you just completely ignore them. And even then, you could not go shopping for anything because of the crowds. I hope next year that I am smarter, shopping throughout the year instead of waiting till the last minute.
Hope you have a wonderful holiday season!
manning_j2004 at yahoo dot com

Clare said...

I grew up with a large family. Now that we're all scattered across the country, I miss the mass chaos of holidays and birthdays. We do still manage to get together once or twice a year. Many of our S.O.s find it daunting to deal with that many faces all at once.

Your story sounds sweet and heartfelt. I put it on my TBR list.
Thanks,
Clare

BookAttict said...

Happy Holidays & thanks for the giveaway!

elizabeth@bookattict.com

Jean P said...

Congrats on the great find with those purses. I think stress and the holidays go hand in hand, but we all seem to come out mostly intact in the end.
Happy Holidays.

skpetal at hotmail dot com

VampedChik said...

Love the excerpt. Going on my wishlist! Thanks!
-Amber
goodblinknpark@yahoo.com

Tory Richards said...

Happy Holidays everyone! Thank you for stopping by and leaving your comments. And good luck!

Tootles!

shadow_kohler said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
GladysMP said...

I, too, only had one sister and no brothers and my sister was seven years older than I, so we never had much in common. She sorta felt that I was in the way. But I envy large families, for the ones I know seem to have such great gettogethers and they have so many relatives to visit. I just don't have any of that.

PaParanormalFan said...

Hello Tory,
Thank you for sharing an excerpt of your Book with Us, it sounds like a Really Good read, I would definitely like to pick this book up of yours.
Take Care & Wishing You a Very Happy Holiday Season,
Renee' S.
paranormalromancefan@yahoo.com

flchen1 said...

Thanks for the memories and the amazing excerpt, Tory! Hope your celebrating this year has been merry and memorable! And best wishes for the new year!

f dot chen at comcast dot net

Tory Richards said...

CONGRATULATIONS NA...YOU ARE THE LUCKY WINNER!