Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, February 6, 2012

GUEST BLOG: TARA LAIN

Book Ideas are a Ball!



Hi everyone. I am so happy to be visiting at Long and short Reviews, one of my favorite sites! I am celebrating the release of my new book, Fire Balls (and running a contest but more about that later). Where do the stories come from? That’s one of the questions all writers get asked a lot. I used to wonder that too. I am a non-fiction writer by profession and for years people would to say I should write a book but I couldn’t imagine what I would write about. Then I discovered erotic romance and loved it so much I was determined to write my first novel. Hmm. Where to begin? Well, erotic romance is definitely fantasy and I have lots of those so I cooked up an older woman/ younger man fantasy--always fun. But I knew I wanted to write male/male romance so, bingo, I added another man and Genetic Attraction was born --my first novel that I was honored to have recently named part of the runner up for Best Series of 2011 in the LRC Awards.


What I discovered writing that first book is that creating fiction is like sex. The more you have the more you want! Once I turned on the story spigot it just kept running and everything I see and person I meet has book potential (yes, be afraid!). For example, I live in a beautiful beach town in California. It is famous for its art festivals. Last year I was asked to write a novella about the beach. Bingo. What if my hero was one of the people who poses as a nude statue in the famous Pageant of the Masters? And what if my other hero was a hunky alpha male who is gay but in the closet. That’s the idea for the best-selling summer romance, Volley Balls.


In Volley Balls I created a memorable character named Rodney who was my hero’s best friend. An unlikely hero himself--short and flamboyant, but he wanted his own book. That’s how I get to bring you my new beach romance, Fire Balls. Actually, the title came first. People told me they loved the title Volley Balls and I was thinking of “Balls” titles. When I thought of the name Fire Balls a whole story started to form. What if my hero, Rodney, was a great artist who has a passion for a firefighter but can’t imagine that the man could ever care for him, the short and weird? So when his good friend, the handsome surfer Jerry, develops an unexpected crush on the firefighter, Rodney helps Jerry woo the guy breaking his own heart. The story is loosely based on the famous book, Cyrano de Bergerac. Very loosely!


See, stories do come from everywhere. My work-in-progress has elements of a fairy tale. My next book incorporates the passion for rebreather diving of one of my best friends. I saw a movie recently that stimulated an interest in genetic manipulation that I plan to use in a scifi novel. The other day I sat down to get a manicure and my friendly manicurist who knows I write gay romance started regaling me with a love story of two young men who grow up together in a third world country. Sounds like a new book to me!


Would you like to win a copy of Fire Balls? Enter my contest. I’m having a drawing this coming Friday. Leave a comment here with your email and you’ll be entered in that drawing. Go over to my Contest Blog and leave another comment with your email and you will be entered again. And there are more chances to win. Go to my Web Site, www.TaraLain.com and look under events. It’s all there. First leave your comment here. Don’t forget your email! And thank you to Long and Short Reviews for the chance to be here and to you for coming to say hi. :)



Rodney Mansfield is tiny, flamboyant and, oh yeah, a black belt in karate. He is also one of southern California’s greatest artists. Too bad the work of art he really wants is firefighter, Hunter Fallon. But the gorgeous “straight gay” guy could never want the Runtback of Notre Dame, so when Rodney’s handsome, surfer friend, Jerry, develops an unexpected passion for the beautiful firefighter, Rodney breaks his own heart by helping Jerry land his man. And then Rod makes it worse by embarrassing Hunter when he protects him from a firehouse bully. Hunter hates gay guys like Rodney – doesn’t he? Then why can’t he get the powerful pipsqueak’s face out of his mind… and his heart? And why does he risk his job and his life to rescue Rod from a burning building? Isn’t it time for him to admit he’s not an alpha male after all and that he is the property of the artist?
About the Author:
Tara Lain never met a beautiful boy she didn’t love – at least on paper. A writer of erotic romance, mostly ménage and male/male, Tara loves all her characters, but especially her handsome heroes. A lifelong writer of serious non-fiction, Tara only fell in love with EROM in 2009 and, through perseverance and lots of workshops, had the first novel she ever wrote published in January of 2011. Then she capped off the year by being voted Best Author of 2011 in the LRC Awards and had her Genetic Attraction Series named runner-up for Best Series of 2011! A very good year. After an exotic life of travel all over the world and work in television, education and advertising, Tara settled in Southern California with her soul-mate husband and opened her own small marketing business. She paints, collages, and started practicing yoga “way before it was fashionable”. Passionate about diversity, justice, inclusion and new ideas, she says on her tombstone it will read, “Yes”.

Find Tara online at:


E-mail: tara@taralain.com

Website: http://www.taralain.com

Author blog: http://taralain.blogspot.com

Book blog: http://beautifulboysbooks.blogspot.com

Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/4541791.Tara_Lain

Twitter: http://twitter.com/taralain

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/people/Tara-Lain/100001514105686

FB Page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tara-Lain/205042046209804

14 comments:

Teresa Tio Miller said...

Tara, I love how Rodney is a black belt and yet he refers to himself as the Runtback of Notre Dame. This looks like it is an awesome book!

teresa dot miller at tigerblossom dot com

Tara Lain said...

Thank you, Teresa. Rodney is a favorite, I love the guy. : )

ilona said...

Tara - the more I read the excerpts the more I want this book :D

Tara Lain said...

Hi Ilona-- Good. My intention to luuuurrrre you in. LOL. : )

Cathy M said...

I love the way your brain works, Tara. Looks like there will be a lot more yummy stories to look forward to.

caity_mack at yahoo dot com

Tara Lain said...

Oh yes, Cathy. They are beating their way out! LOL : )

Debby said...

I have seen this book on other blogs. The more I see the more i want.
debby236 at gmail dot com

books4me said...

Tara, do you have a favorite character that you have written so far?

books4me67 at ymail dot com

Tara Lain said...

Hi Debby-- Great to meet you. Remember to enter at Beautiful Boys Books also and you'll be eligible for both drawings.

Hi books4me-- Every book i write i fall in love with my guys! I was passionate about Roan and then David showed up, and Caleb and Eli, and Daniel and Trelain and Rodney! And i have some fantastic heroes coming up you haven't seen yet. Killian the WITCH and Mark the cleaner of fireplaces. And now i'm writing this wonderful scuba diver named Sky! Sigh. I love them all.
: )

Unknown said...

Hi Tara,
I couldn’t wait to get the book so i bought it today. i can’t wait to get started. i’m so excited about it and will let you know what i think about the book once i’m finished.

tammy ramey
trvlagnt1t@yahoo.com

Tara Lain said...

Thank you Tammy!! Hope you like it! : )

Pommawolf Emeraldwolfeyes said...

I know that I'm late...but I'm still catching up from a puter freeze up yesterday...and wanted to make sure I posted on all the sites of the blog tour...I hope that I'm still in the running for at least a chance anyway....*S*
Love your idea and how they have come into such wonderful stories...and wishing you continued success as you've definitely found your calling..*S*

Darcy
pommawolf @hotmail.com

Tara Lain said...

Hi Darcy-- I know when your computer freezes you aren't kidding! Thank you so much for coming by. : )

PaParanormalFan said...

Hello Tara,

Thank you Tara for taking time out of your busy DAY(s) lol to spend with your Fans on your "Fire Balls" Blog Tour on Long and short Reviews.
Congrats on the release, I know it's gonna be soooo Smokin' HOTTTT I can't wait to get it. The more Excerpts I read on different Blog Tour sites of Rodney Mansfield's Story, the more I cannot wait!!!!

I would very much appreciate if I could be considered in your giveaway.

Take Care & Have a Great Week,
PaParanormalFan (Renee’ S.)
paranormalromancefan@yahoo.com