Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

GUEST BLOG: KATE RICHARDS

Photobucket
What I Am Going to Do on My Summer Vacation
by
Kate Richards


I remember—as do we all!—having to write those “What I did” essays on the first day back to school. I always wondered why we never wrote one in June about what we planned to do. It would have been interesting to compare. In September, summer is over, never to return, and it’s time to turn our minds to fall things, responsibilities and holiday preparation.

But in June, the summer months stretch ahead, full of promise. Long, lazy days when the sun stays up until almost nine and we played hide and seek and freeze tag, when we could stay out until the very last bit of light faded. When I would be spending at least part of every day at the beach, riding the waves on my Styrofoam surfboard, inflatable raft, boogie board…things were evolving in those days. Reading endless comic books and anything else I could get my hands on. Sleepovers and camping trips. Gardening. Even as a grade schooler I grew pumpkins and zinnias. I got hold of those seeds one year and just kept with the program.

Yep, at this time of year, all I could think of was the good times ahead.

I became a fulltime writer last year in mid-July. So this is my first complete summer of freedom from an office! In honor of that freedom, I thought I’d make my plans before summer flies away and leaves me wondering where it went.

First, I do want to swim. I don’t have a pool, but some of my friends do and they’re always asking me to come over. I can’t wait! There is also the beach, where I plan to go at least a few times.

Second, I want to spend time in the garden. We have a lot of container things, cucumbers, tomatoes and zucchinis, herbs and flowers, but this is the year I want to start getting serious about growing things on the steep slope behind me…gulp!

I want to read! I have a Kindle packed full of books of all kinds, romances, mysteries, sci fi, just waiting for a long afternoon on the patio, with a frosty glass of sun tea and lemonade over ice or up in the Sierras in our tiny cabin surrounded by nephews and nieces…with their Kindles. Yep, we’re a family who reads together!

But the best thing I want to do this summer is write. I can’t believe how lucky, how blessed I am to have the freedom to do what I’ve wanted to do my whole life, since back when I was playing freeze tag. It’s what I’m going to do today and tomorrow…and the next day.

With breaks for swimming, reading, and gardening, of course! Hope your summer is everything you could wish for, filled with friends and fun, and the good health to enjoy them.

If you would like to leave a comment and tell me what you are going to do on your summer vacation, one random commenter will win a copy of my Wiccan Haus book from Musa Publishing, An Apple Away. Also, a T-shirt featuring its gorgeous cover. My second story for the series is one of the things I’m writing this summer. I think Wiccan Haus would also be a wonderful place to take a vacation!

Visit me at my blog http://katerichards.wordpress.com I love to hear from readers!



Aislinn never wants to see another doctor. Their painful and pointless treatments have done nothing to improve her rapidly deteriorating health. She hopes that the staff of Wiccan Haus can at least offer a change of scene, if not a return of a little of her former strength. She's delighted to meet Punda, a masseuse, on her arrival and charmed by the cottage in the apple orchard where she will stay. Dr. Hugo Peralta visits the island at the insistence of his boss. The distinguished brain surgeon is in desperate need of a respite before overwork makes him one of his own patients. He is surprised but pleased with the privacy and serenity of his cottage--across the orchard from Aislinn's. An idyllic location on a magical island where love can blossom--if the Rowans can help the trio save Aislinn from whatever is killing her.

An Apple Away is available at Amazon or any of your favorite online bookstores.

15 comments:

Debby said...

I hated those essays on the first day of school. This year I will be traveling to Texas, California, Virginia and Michigan. Going all over.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Kate Richards said...

Sounds like you're going to have a great time!

Patricia said...

Your summer sounds glorious! Writing! Unfortunately that's usually when I don't write because my kids are home and there are too many distractions. But I'm feeling that "itch" to write another novel, so...
This summer we've rented a house on the beach near Santa Barbara and I can't WAIT for a week there. Plus, I'm going to get the opportunity to ride my horse on the beach at Half Moon Bay. Yippee!

Kate Richards said...

Sounds wonderful, I love the beach better than anything, and horseback riding n the beach is so much fun.

Margie Church said...

First of all, I adore having my books hover over your head. :-) Secondly, summers for me as a little kid were spent at my best friend's cabin. We caught crayfish and frogs, swam til we were waterlogged and ate hot dogs. And sometimes fried chicken. Nothing mattered to me except getting to go to the lake with my bestie. The memories are so powerful that they are the setting for the cabin scenes for Hard as Teak. These days, I can't remember the last time I had a real summer vacation. I have a long weekend for the 4th - we'll probably travel around to see some of the parades our son is in. The joys of self-employment...

Jessica Subject said...

Sounds like a nice relaxing summer, Kate. :)

With the kids off school, I'll be lucky to have any time to myself. LOL My reading and writing will be my escape.

Sharon Ledwith said...

You can swing by my lake anytime for a summer swim, Kate! As for my summer? I'm joining you in the writing pool and working on two books: a prequel and the second book in my YA time travel series. Cheers to the summer!

Olivia Starke said...

I've been trying to get out more this summer, but now it's too hot! Determined to get a couple more trips to the lake in.

Kate Richards said...

Margie, I loved the cabin in Hard as Teak, sounded like paradise. Sounds like everyone has a great time planned. And I even got an invite to Sharon's lake!
I have a quick funny story about summer. My nephews are at grandma and grandpa's on vacation and yesterday's activity was buying grandma and grandpa's cemetery plots. Because the price is going up this weekend!!!!
The kids had a great time hanging out looking at the cows outside the fence...rural cemetery, but my sister and I think it's hysterical. Can't wait to see their "What I did" essays!

Starla Kaye said...

It was great fun to read your post and the other comments about what people will be up to this summer.

Summers are always crazy, even though my daughter is grown and away. My niece and nephew here keep me busy going to watch them play tennis...fortunately now that it is 100+ degrees they're pretty much done. But I'm going with them and my sister and husband for 2 weeks in July to Virginia/North Carolina. We go bicycling and kayaking and just goof around. Great!

Of course, I'm a full-time writer, too, and have to squeeze a lot of that in. Plus I'm busy making a baby quilt (my first one of those) for another nephew and his wife.

Kate Richards said...

Great vacation plans, Starla! Kayaking is so relaxing.

Margaret said...

Great post, Kate!

My summer has been fairly uneventful. I've been taking it easy, recuperating from surgery. But I've been able to read a few books, write a few blog entries, put the finishing touches on some manuscripts and start a new WIP. Now that I write that, it doesn't seem like I'm taking it all that easy. Oh, well.

Have a great summer writing!

Kate Richards said...

No Margaret...doesn't sound like that much rest! But you sure don't sound bored :)

_ said...

Summer is when I work at my wee plant nursery. I transplant seedlings and plot and plot. I love my greenhouses in March, but they can get warm in the summer. Great post. I can feel the essence of summer in your post.
Emma Lane

Kate Richards said...

I planted an Arabian jasmine today, I'd never heard of them but I found one at the Depot last night...I have pink and standard already, will this be as fragrant?