Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

GUEST BLOG: STEPHANIE JULIAN

Photobucket


Play Me Something…
By
Stephanie Julian


I was never music-obsessed as a teenager. Sure, I liked Meatloaf and Journey and Foreigner and Tom Petty and Neil Young and…

Hmm, so maybe I did have a little bit of an obsession with music.

As a teenager, my mom, bless her, fed me a steady diet of Broadway shows. Every character in a Broadway musical had a soundtrack for their life. I knew every word to South Pacific, A Chorus Line, The Music Man, Grease, and so many more shows that I began to believe life should come with a musical score.

My taste always gravitated toward rock (and Sondheim, but that’s kind of a given for a kid who spent days watching West Side Story) but it wasn’t until I had children that I realized how entwined music had become in my life.

My husband has always been a Springsteen fanatic but the boys gravitated toward metal and hard rock. My youngest had a thing for Pantera and Slipknot, while my oldest loved Alkaline Trio and Korn. But when they discovered Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine and My Chemical Romance, we found common ground.

My Chem headlined our first rock concert, along with Alkaline Trio and Reggie and the Full Effect. My kids were nine and eleven and my youngest had to stand on the chair all night because he couldn’t see the stage. Walking to the car, they wanted to know who we were going to see next.

That turned out to be Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet For My Valentine and we haven’t stopped since. Last Friday, my oldest and I made our annual pilgrimage to the Warped Tour, where I always find a few new bands (this year, it’s Vampires Everywhere and Streetlight Manifesto) and this Friday, my youngest and I will head to the Mayhem Fest where we’ll see Slipknot for the second time along with Slayer, Motorhead, As I Lay Dying, The Devil Wears Prada and others.

I was never a huge Slipknot fan until I saw them live a few years ago. And I became a true believer. It happens like that sometimes.

So what does any of this have to do with writing? Since I don’t write with music, it might seem like nothing. But that wouldn’t be true. Music is a huge part of plotting for me. Certain songs will spark ideas or scenes or sometimes they speak to a character’s frame of mind at certain point in the book.

I listen to music when I’m running or driving or doing the dishes (I can’t live without my Sirius Radio) and do most of my plotting at the same time. Sometimes, when I’m working on a certain scene, I will play on repeat the song that spark it. The scene then takes on the rhythm of the song.

GODDESS IN THE MIDDLE was plotted while listening to Avenged Sevenfold’s “Nightmare” and Bullet For My Valentine’s “Fever” albums and the book’s darkness definitely got an assist from the heaviness in those albums.

And the hot rock gods certainly don’t hurt. :-)

About the Author: Stephanie Julian is the author of the Forgotten Goddesses, Magical Seduction, Lucani Lovers, The Fringe and Darkly Enchanted series. A former reporter for a daily newspaper, she enjoys making up stories much more than writing about real life. She’s happily married to a Springsteen fanatic and is the mother of two sons who love her even when they don’t have any clean clothes and dinner is a bowl of cereal.

Find Stephanie online at:

www.StephanieJulian.com
www.twitter.com/stephaniejulian
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Stephanie-Julian/52545546702



TOGETHER. THEY CREATE THE MOST POWERFUL MAGIC OF ALL ...

Romulus and Remus are sexy werewolf cousins with an unbreakable bond. When they meet beautiful goddess Amity and save her from an encroaching demon, they discover that the three of them together are way more powerful than any of them could ever have imagined. And they're going to need that power to overcome the forces that are determined to steal Amity's magic and destroy the two men. As different as night and day, and each an amazing man in his own right, Rom and Remy make all of Amity's deepest fantasies come true ...

3 comments:

Debby said...

Sounds magical. Thanks so much for sharing.
debby236 at gmail dot com

Fiona McGier said...

We live in a very conservative town. If you've ever seen the movie "Saved", that's the kind of kids our 4 went to school with, and when my kids got rides from their friends' parents, they would hear music like Disney's greatest hits.
In my car, even when some of mine were still in car-seats, I would make a grab for the radio knob to bleep out all of the "f-bombs" in Nine Inch Nails songs, but since Trent Reznor uses them like a chef uses spices, I didn't always get them all. My husband asked me one time why when the radio was on the kids were trying to bang their heads against the car windows. I told him I was playing punk that week and had told them about slam-dancing...they were trying to do it in the car! He turned our kids onto Tool...we are both industrial metal fans. And we love the blues.
Recently our oldest, now in his twenties, turned us on to dubstep. He and one of his brothers took my husband to see Rammstein, a German uber-metal band. They all came home partially deaf, but happy!

Good on you that you and your kids share new music! Old music is okay and brings back memories of when I first heard it, but I prefer new stuff that I can discover with my kids, making us all have memories to share together. Keep on keeping on, cool mom!

Michele said...

That is Awesome that you like Avenged Sevenfold! I love driving to Nightmare. :-)

Have you listed to Papa Roach? Metallica? Adelitas Way? Theory of a Dead Man? They've got pretty cool sounds too.

Speaking of cool, I've read every one so far of your Goddess Series and I've loved every single one. So much hotness, fun and excitement!

I can't wait until the next one comes out. By the by, what inspired you to have a m/f/m with your last book? And will you do another? I sort of enjoyed it. :-)

Anyway ...I've yet to be brave enough to bring my kids to a concert ... your post has given ammunition to pursue the idea.
The funny thing about concert choices...back when I was a kid, my mom took me to see the OSMONDS! --- times sure have changed. **gg**