Beginning January 1, 2013

Stop by and let us know what you think of the new look!

Monday, October 29, 2012

Halloween Blogfest: N.J. Walters

Photobucket


Halloween Fun
By
N.J. Walters


I love this time of year—the crisp cool air, the colorful leaves and, of course, Halloween! I freely admit, I like the more fun side of the holiday rather than the gory one—no Jason or Freddie Krueger in my house. I’ll string up the colorful orange and purple lights, carve the pumpkins, buy the candy and get ready for the trick-or-treaters. The little kids look so adorable in their cute costumes. We’re sure to get a princess or two, maybe even a pirate or a ghost.

But my favorite part of the holiday are the movies. Every year, hubby and I will watch a bunch of movies that are befitting of the season. Vampires, werewolves, witches, ghosts and paranormal films of all kinds are on the list of possibilities. My one must-see movie every year is The Crow. No matter how many times I see it, the story touches my heart. I also love the kickass sense of justice in the film.

When it comes to vampire movies I’m a big fan of The Lost Boys and its rocking soundtrack. I freely admit the German Expressionist horror film Nosferatu, the 1922 film featuring Max Schreck, scares the crap out of me. There is something about Schreck as Count Orlok that is truly chilling. If you like Nosferatu, than you really should see Shadow of the Vampire starring Willem Defoe. The movie is a fictional take on the making of the 1922 film and is absolutely wonderful. Vampires and Lycans sometimes go together as they do in the Underworld series. I wasn’t a big fan of the last one, but the first three films in the series are fantastic.

The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, both the Disney cartoon and the Johnny Depp movie both make the cut in our house, as does Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula. On the lighter side, you can’t beat Ghostbusters with Dan Akroyd and Bill Murray for a fun time.

There are so many great films for this time of year. What are some of yours?

I’m giving away a PDF copy of Unmasking Kelly, my Ellora’s Cave Quickie, to someone who comments, so be sure to leave one. Put your email address in your comment so I can contact you if you’re the lucky winner.

About the Author:
N.J. has always been a voracious reader, and now she spends her days writing novels of her own. Vampires, werewolves, dragons, time-travelers, seductive handymen, and next-door neighbors with smoldering good looks—all vie for her attention. It’s a tough life, but someone’s got to live it.

Website: http://www.njwalters.com
Blog: http://www.njwalters.blogspot.com
Newsletter Group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/awakeningdesires/
Facebook Author Page: https://www.facebook.com/N.J.WaltersAuthor
Twitter: https://twitter.com/njwaltersauthor
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/author/njwalters

18 comments:

Christine said...

Well, I prefer books over movies, but I like to watch the ones you don't, lol the scary ones back from my pre teen years, Like Nightmare on Elm street. Those films are my favorites.

Thanks for the giveaway,
Chirth7 (at)yahoo(dot)com

Jean MP said...

I like watching the old horror movies, but I find I enjoy reading more than watching movies these days.
skpetal at hotmail dot com

N.J.Walters said...

lol I can't watch the scary movies, Christine. I like movies like Dracula and Underworld as opposed to Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street.

N.J.Walters said...

Some of the older ones are great, Jean. Nosferatu still scares me. :)

Anonymous said...

I love all sorts of horror movies. I think my favorite are the first two Halloween movies. But I do reading horror books too.

Samantha H.
samanthahodges64 at yahoo dot com

N.J.Walters said...

Hi, Samantha. I've never been able to watch the scary/slasher movies. They keep me up at night. lol

flchen1 said...

I'm just too chicken to enjoy the scary stuff, NJ! I still love the classic It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown! :)

No need to include me in the draw--thank you!

Debby said...

I am not fond of true horror movies. I do enjoy the Disney movies like Halloween Town
debby236 at gmail dot com

Carriefort29 said...

Oh pick me!! You know I loe ya!! Can't wait until tomorrow RELEASE DAY WOO WOO

Carriefort29 said...

Love ya

N.J.Walters said...

Me either, Fedora. I love the Great Pumpkin and the animated Legend of Sleepy Hollow too.

I don't know that movie, Debby. I like werewolves and vampire movies, but not slasher and true horror movies.

lol Guess you're excited about tomorrow, Carrie. Thanks! *hugs*

Nancy G said...

Not a big fan of horror movies-when I want to get scared, I usually grab either a Stephen King or Dean Koontz book. I will say that IT by Stephen King (the movie) is good, and the adaptation of his book The Stand is scary because, hey with these government secrets, this could really happen, you know?

N.J.Walters said...

Stephen King's books are scary, Nancy. They hit us close to home because they prey on our real fears.

Carla said...

While I would much rather dive into a book then watch tv, something about halloween screams that one must watch scary movies. :)
ck_0404@hotmail.com

Susan Shapley said...

I love the novels of Anne Rice on film, as well as Legend of Sleepy Hollow, and, of course, HBO's True Blood is such a fun, sexy, compelling series. In particular,I enjoy my horror with a little humanity...in other words, I still need to feel something, good or bad, for the characters.

I also want you to know that I have read your books for years and have loved them so much. Now it's time for me to read your current ones. I couldn't be more excited to do so.
Susan Shapley
susanshapley@sutv.com

Ann Q said...

I am hopeless watching horror movies. I usually have my eyes covered and am asking "what is happening now?" annpa@gmail.com

N.J.Walters said...

I enjoy both, Carla. Although books are my favorite. :)

Thank you so much for the lovely compliment, Susan. I'm so glad you enjoy my books. I enjoy Anne Rice and Sleepy Hollow as well, but just couldn't get into True Blood.

LOL I do the same thing, Ann. I can't bear to watch anything gory or too realistic.

N.J.Walters said...

The winner of the PDF download of my EC Quickie Unmasking Kelly is Debby! Congrats, Debby! I've emailed you your book so watch your inbox.

Thank you to everyone who stopped by and left a comment. And thank you to Long and Short Reviews! The Halloween Blogfest was fun!